Stuart Models

Discussion in 'Engines From Castings' started by tabest55, Feb 5, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Feb 5, 2019 #1

tabest55

tabest55

tabest55

I have a steam engine casting kit I started to build in 1971. One of the castings wasn't machined very well so I ordered a new part from Stuart Models in England. Now the castings included with the kit that many years ago were beautiful clean castings. Today the new part came in the mail and I would be ashamed to send this part out the way it is. There is as much flashing on it as there is casting. Is this typical of the current day Stuart models? I have built quite a few models and have several in the queue to be built and none have castings that look this bad.

Casting.jpg

2. Feb 5, 2019 #2

deverett

deverett

deverett

deverett HMEM Supporter

Retired
    I have seen a lot worse castings than that. At least the main shape looks OK.
    Think positively and say to yourself that the founders have wasted all that extra metal and you still only paid the normal price!

Just get a belt sander to the flashing and get as much off as possible before you get the file out.
    Employing a bit of elbow grease does wonders for the constitution!

Dave
    The Emerald Isle

3. Feb 6, 2019 #3

Jasonb

Jasonb

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

At least it saves people moaning about over fettling at the foundry that can cut into the part.

Cost wise I expect it is cheaper to waste the metal than pay someone to carfully fettle the flashing off.

4. Mar 24, 2019 #4

aonemarine

aonemarine

aonemarine

Stuart used to produce some of the nicest castings imaginable. I understand that they have switched to another foundry??

5. Mar 24, 2019 #5

deverett

deverett

deverett

deverett HMEM Supporter

Retired
    The new owners of Stuart Models are the Bridport Foundry. They do their own castings.

Don't judge their products on the evidence of just one part. Let's hear from another purchaser of the latest castings for more information.

Dave
    The Emerald Isle

6. Mar 25, 2019 #6

Jasonb

Jasonb

Jasonb

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

Bridport also used to cast some parts for Stuarts before they bought them.

They also bought all the old stock so may still be selling some of that, the No8 which that part is for is not one of their more popular designs so could well be old stock.

7. Mar 25, 2019 #7

doug11k

doug11k

doug11k

How is the machinability of that casting? Old ones were superb once you got thru the thin 'skin'.

8. Mar 25, 2019 #8

jlchapman

jlchapman

jlchapman

New Member HMEM Supporter

I have purchased 6 kits from Stuart models in the past year. I got the bug really bad to build some steam engines,thanks to Mr.Pete and Tinker John!. Now I'm getting the Hit & Miss bug.

I have not had a casting look like the one that tabest55 posted about, not even close to that bad. There castings have been really nice looking casting. Of the 6 kits, 1 cylinder had a visual defect(attached picture) that would show when the engine was finished, 1 cylinder end cover had an internal hole that was uncovered while machining it. I emailed pictures to Andy at Stuart about both of the items. He immediately sent out replacements.

Tabest55, I would request another casting. In my opinion that should of never been sent out.

Doug11k, the machinability of Stuart casting are just like you described. Get through the 'skin' and its smooth sailing.

I'm really happy with Stuart Models. Its hard to find a company that ships promptly and has great customer service. I'm not associated with Stuart Models in any way.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Stik likes this.