Stuart 10H

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff02

Reaction score
Still learning, but enjoying every minute of it.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Hi Jeff02!

This looks very much like my 10V. You are a bit ahead of me. Looks great!

I will probably have some questions for you..... Good luck with your project.

Kevin

Didn’t get much done today, but I did finish the Valve Chest.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

Looking GREAT Jeff! Thm:

Please keep us posted on the progress!

Rick

Jeff did you invest in BA taps or did you change hardware size to US Sizes?
Tin

I purchased the BA, Taps and Dies.

Jeff02,

Nicely done! I've never been very good at polishing cast iron....any secrets?

Dave

I have been using 600 grit wet and dry sand paper with a lot of elbow grease and water.
I guess I should say I start with a file, then go to sand paper starting with 300 grit and working up to 600.
BTW I have just used the 300, I save the 600 until the very last.

Nice Jeff. :bow: Thanks for the photos. You're getting me motivated to start my PM Research steam drilling engine.

Cheers,
Phil

Jeff,

Looking very nice. :bow: :bow: and one for the 600 grit :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Jeff, nicely done with the engine build...did you encounter any problems fitting the nuts to hold the Cylinder to the body of the engine... two things, one size Smaller nuts are available in most BA sizes...also I personally think the drawing pitch circle for the studs holding Cyl/ to engine body is a tad too small...I found this out the hard way on the Score build ::)
All the best for now,
John.

Bob and John, Thanks for the kind words.

Yes I to think Diameter is too small, this is my third and on my other two I said the same thing, I think on my forth I will increase by about an 1/8 of an inch on the total diameter this will give me 1/16 a side.

Jeff02 said:
I have been using 600 grit wet and dry sand paper with a lot of elbow grease and water.
I guess I should say I start with a file, then go to sand paper starting with 300 grit and working up to 600.
BTW I have just used the 300, I save the 600 until the very last.

Try some light oil with the w&d - makes a difference!

Oh I do like the red....much better than the green...

Dave

Jeff02:
That looks so nice it makes me want to build that model also, except being on disability and married now the kit prices tend to scare me towards bar stock type plans . Many years ago I built the 10V and it is a real good runner and catches everybody's attention when they see it running in my basement shop. I thought when I built it I wanted to run it on steam but the thought of building a safe boiler back in the 1970's scared me enough that I just run it with my air compressor.
Good work-------don

Very nice, Jeff.

I've been trying to think of a way to make engines look like they were cast but without actually casting them. Haven't gotten there yet. ;D

I plan on doing some rounded edges, which will help a little.

-Trout

Back