Streched Aluminum?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Searching through the scrap yard, I came across this piece of 1/8" aluminum plate. I dont think I have ever seen the "streched" specification before.

brakesandpawls008.jpg

The most notable thing about this plate is that it is very flat. Every other piece of thin plat that I have seen has had a considerable bow in it. This plate was about 12" x 16". Is it flat because it was streched?

Jerry

Stretching or Pre-Streaching aluminum plate is a form of stress relieving the material.

I've only ever seen it required in aerospace or military specs.

Nice find! Thm:

Rick

Yep its part of the stress relieving process, in the "T" part of the specification there can be several numbers, e.g. 6061 T651 the first 4 numbers (6061) relate to the alloy and its constituents (2 buckets of sand one of cement etc), the numbers after the "T" indicate the Temper of the material, T#51 indicates that the material has been stretched, T#511 has been stretched and straightened and so on.
When I had to work for a living we used to use what we referred to as "Kaiser Plate", it was as flat as a tack and very stable, luverly stuff, same as the stuff you have. Good find!!
cheers
bp

Latest posts

Back