Stirling engine question.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.

Reaction score
Looking at the 'miser' type sterling engines, I was wondering:

Do they work best with a very thin top and bottom heat-transfer plate in the displacement cylinder or do they prefer a thicker plate in order to store heat energy?

How the heck did I post this in Plans?

Sorry - can a mod please move it to Q&A?

A thicker plate would store more heat energy and the top (cold) plate would stay cooler longer but it would also take more time for the bottom plate to heat up I think, depending on what you were using for a heat source. Ifi you are considering a "miser" or similar engine, I would recommend staying with the stated dimensions for plate thickness....IIRC 1/8" for the full size miser and 1/16" for the half scale version.

Bill

Keeping in mind that what you are trying to accomplish is heating and cooling of the air inside the engine and not the plates themselves; I don't think a thicker plate would be an advantage. It seems to me that it would slow the heat transfer.

Something to experiment with maybe.

Kevin

If you are building from a proven plan, it is best to follow the bill of materials. If you are building to your own design, be prepared for a lot of empirical experimentation.

In many Stirlings, the hot end in particular is critical. The rate of heat transfer of the material used makes the difference between a non runner and a good runner. The wrong material may work but require a lot more heat to run.

Not planning to build from plans Stan. I prefer to build from my head.

I have some .024" ally sheet which I was planning to use for the top & bottom of the displacement cylinder, thinking that the thinner material would give a more direct 'connection' to the differential ambient temperatures outside. My idea is that using thicker material might give a short-term advantage but only until they reached a'soaked' state, at which time the machine would still only react (albeit slowly) to the differential temperatures outside.

I don't know how far off-base I am with my reasoning but that's how I see it.

Not an answer to your question (I don't know, anyway) but here's another idea: put fins on the top plate, for better heat dissipation. (I don't know if that would make any difference, either....)

Latest posts

Back