Stirling engine helicopter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a helicopter idea, that has been lurking in the back of my mind for about half a year. Compressed air rotary engine in helicopter. Too heavy to fly---but--Attach helicopter to a parallelogram lever which passes over a pivot point. Put counterweight on opposite side of pivot. At rest, helicopter is a bit heavier than counterweight, so helicopter sets on floor. A flexible airline is wire tied to parallelogram lever arm to provide compressed air to helicopter. Air pressure can be adjusted to speed up helicopter engine. Very little lift is needed from blades to offset weight of helicopter and make it "fly" .

Interesting and great idea Brian..!
I don't think this idea will work for this project. There's simply not enough power. The blades should run very fast to create enough lift. In this case, if all goes well 1000 rpm will be the about the max it will go.
Maybe, just maybe, redesigning this heli, combine it with as much 3D-printed parts as possible it could 'fly'.
As I mentioned before I made a almost 100% printed version in the past. It could not 'fly' either, to be clear, there were 4 AA batteries involved.

Last edited:
Found the pictures..!

Not yet finished here.
1601896771174.jpeg

Here it was, but still needed to clean up all parts and polish.
1601896856735.jpeg

1601897152392.jpeg

1601897051672.jpeg

Chriske
I have a question I've been lining up material and am about to start a build but havent been able to locate a supplier for the proper sized glass test tube. Can you tell me where you found them. Right now I'm thinking of using a different size than whats shown in the plan.

Doc 1955,

Just looked were I've put these tubes.
Already found the smallest OD-16mm pyrex tubes. I have more then I need. So I can send you a set.
Problem is I can't find the second box containing the larger tubes :mad: but I'll keep looking...
I'll keep you informed.

Aren't we going to build this as a teambuild...?
I was in fact waiting somewhat longer to see if there were some others to join the 'party'..

Yessssssss..!!!
Found the second box.:D
I was wrong about the glass, it's not Pyrex but Duran...even better..!

1601914608951.jpeg

1601914643245.jpeg

Hey guys,

How do we proceed..?
Never done this before(teambuild) so I post a copy of the rules about 'Teambuilds'.

1. A team is selected (well volunteered ;D) and a captain voted on
Candidates...?, I volonteer, but if someone wants the 'job' is ok for me.
2. The team votes on an engine to build
Don't think that will be a problem, I vote : Stirling engine helicopter...😄
3. Team members then select the part they want to build
Yet to talk about.
4. You (the team member) has 3 months to build the part
Duration of the build depends on point nr2 in the next paragraph

At this point, several options can happen;

1. Only one engine is built - then either displayed or sold for charity

From what I read higherup, this not the case...is it...?
2. Enough parts are built for everyone to have their own engine.
We need to wait until we know the number of participants that will join the group.
Then we decide how long we spend building our parts

A few sources has been pointed out higher up in this thread about drawings and plans.
Needles to see we all use the same drawings/plans.
I'll propose using my plans, ok for you all...?

Last question : who's joining the party..?

Chris

(Possible) participants :
If you do partisipate I remove your question mark. If not I remove your name from the list.
If you're not on the list, pleas do forgive me, that was because it was not very clear., Just let me know.

Chriske - OK
Chiptosser?
Delalio?
Doc1955?
Tomcat?

(Possible) participants :
If you do partisipate I remove your question mark. If not I remove your name from the list.
If you're not on the list, pleas do forgive me, that was because it was not very clear., Just let me know.

Chriske - OK
Kai - OK
Chiptosser?
Delalio?
Doc1955?
Tomcat?

Chriske
Already found the smallest OD-16mm pyrex tubes. I have more then I need. So I can send you a set.
Problem is I can't find the second box containing the larger tubes :mad: but I'll keep looking...

Did you go with different size tube the drawings I have call out 22mm for the large and 18mm for the small I was thinking of changing the size to 25mm and 20mm those I can find. I checked for schott but no luck finding 22mm. Or I could go with 21mm and 17mm not sure how much that would change the swept volume of the engine I haven't sat down and looked at that. Anyway I have 2 builds under way right now so I think I'll bow out of the group build.

Well I am set up I could wip out more side plates and the lower landing rudders. I am in the process of making a form die to bend them. How many are we talking about?

Well I am set up I could wip out more side plates and the lower landing rudders. I am in the process of making a form die to bend them. How many are we talking about?

Don't know yet, I'm waiting for the candidates to reply a last time.(just to be sure)
Hey guys, could it be that a few of you want to build this helicopter on our own and not in a teambuild..? Please let me know. Thanks.

I have a good supply of aluminum in various sizes I could supply post paid in exchange for completed parts if this is of interest to the group. Oops I'm not in Europe so nevermind.

Last edited:
I was waiting to see if there were more candidates, apparently only three members in this build.
I'd hoped for a few more to join this build..

Apologies gents, with covid and house rennovations I have been a little absent. I am back.

Yes I'd like to be involved.

If theres <10 people, can I make the suggestion each person makes that number of parts. (5 people = 5x each part) Then each member posts their part to every other member.

That means that everyone receives enough parts to make the entire build, and it is something to look forward to in the mail too. Also would be a great motivator to get your parts done quickly and nicely. And generally, making parts gets easier the more you make.

What do people think?

Del

Latest posts

Back