• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Stevenson's ER25 collet blocks and Metric blocks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeng2000

Reaction score
This is just a heads up to say that I have placed my blocks on eBay as I no longer have a mill or lathe.

John

Just type Stevenson's blocks in the eBay search box.

John

Sorry folks, I forgot that this is a widely read site. Yes eBay UK :rolleyes:

Are Stevenson's blocks known by other names outside the UK?
Brian
Hi Brian, also called a collet block, they usually use a 5C type collet,
but you can also get the ER32 version
https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Collet-Fixtures/ER32-Collet-BlocksI actually use a 12 sided ER32 version, this does both square & hex etc, all in the one block.
http://www.mag-pro.com.au/goods.php?id=469Not sure if you can get these outside of Australia though, shipping would be a bit of a killer though.

Last edited:
Many thanks Peter, mine are the ER32 version. Very interesting about the 12 sided version, not come across any of those.
Brian
Hi Brian, they where developed here in Australia by Joe Hovel & his mate Peter with the help of Felix Wu (MagPro) for the manufacturing & distribution in mid 2017. I believe MagPro bought the patent or something like that or have distributions rights.
You can read about it in Metal Works Forums New 'Joe-Peter' collet blocks [Archive] - Metal Work Forums
They not cheap, but have been very handy for me in both my mill & lathe. You can transfer from a vice on the mill to a 6, 4 or 3 jaw chuck & back with repeatability. They have been ground to a very pretty tight tolerance. Cheers Peter.

Thanks for that Peter, very interesting, I hadn't considered that the flats would be so small.
Brian
Hi Brian, yes small flats but they still offer plenty of support though
I wonder if Felix at MagPro would consider taking on UK or US distributors to help get the shipping cost to the end users down, win win on both sides. It would be much the same to ship bulk to UK or US as to ship to Australia, but the cost of shipping from Australia to UK or US is pretty steep I believe

Hi,

Using a four sided indexing block clamped between vee-blocks allows the block to be rotated 45 degrees and so gives eight index locations (but the “vertical” or “radial” reference or off-set changes between alternate locations)

Can be useful

All the best,
Ian

Likewise the six sided block clamped by the flats and then the corners will give 12divs. You only need to work out the offset this gives once and make a note of it and then easily allowed for with the DRO.

Although the 12 sider looks to have some advantages it's larger size may not be so good for many who use them with smaller benchtop machines as shallow vice jaws may not come up to ctr line, reduced head height when stood vertically and more stick out if held in a chuck on the lathe

As I am not a factory and have never had the urge;), I made up 'proper' things but have been known to cut metal templates from a heap of scrap metal and and when the need arises.

A one hole division plate can cover a multitude of problems.
I went back to the years of the Dodo and obtained( bought is a dirty word) a 70 year old "Potts" vertical( sometimes) slide that was made from Potts castings but has a Myford Spindle, a No2 MT taper-- and a dividing head plate. Earlier I obtained a sort of similar 'grinding one' that can be transferred from my Stent tool and cutter grinder to the mill drill, the Myford Super7B PXF.
I think that the late Sir John, MBE( Motor bike engineer) would have flung some unprintable comments.

And Yes, Hemingwaykits appears to have the old Woking Precision Models castings and drawings.

Incidentally, the late and lamented John Stevenson was English and lived and worked in Long Eaton, near Nottingham.
Perhaps it would be prudent to note this

Nornan
Many thanks for that Norman, I didn't know that . I am also from Long Eaton which, despite its Nottingham postcode is actually in Derbyshire.
Brian

Likewise the six sided block clamped by the flats and then the corners will give 12divs. You only need to work out the offset this gives once and make a note of it and then easily allowed for with the DRO.

Although the 12 sider looks to have some advantages it's larger size may not be so good for many who use them with smaller benchtop machines as shallow vice jaws may not come up to ctr line, reduced head height when stood vertically and more stick out if held in a chuck on the lathe
Hi Jason, one of the other advantages of the 12 sided Joe block is that the nut does not protrude past the block & therefore can be held on a Magnetic chuck or using strap clamps etc straight on the mill table. If you have a height problem you could again mount it straight on the mill table as the back is precision ground at right angles to the sides. Vertically you could also mount it on the mill table a use a 2 piece vise, if you don't have one they are easy to make.

Latest posts

Back