Stepper Motor Problem

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade16

Reaction score
I have a Syil x3 Mill Conversion cnc and While I was moving the X axis table using Mach3 controler and keyboard, the table started to shake and vibrate like the ball screw was starting to jam. When I reversed the X direction and the vibration stopped and seemed normal. When I went back in the other direction, the vibration and noise started again. It got worse and then it happened all along the travel until it would not move at all. I was able to shut off power and move the ball screw by hand. It was tight, but movable. I removed the stepper motor from the ball screw and placed it on the table and turned on the power. I used the keyboard to try to cause an X axis movement and the stepper motor vibrated and made quite a noise. It moved, but very little between hard vibrations. I guess I have discovered the problem lies with the stepper motor. I would like to know if this could possibly be caused by a software setting being wrong, or is the motor just bad?
I am thinking of taking the Y motor and hooking it uo to the X ball screw and see if it moves the table. That would tell me if it was a motor problem or a pin assignment or other issue.

First of all i need to qualify that I am no cnc expert I did build retrofit a couple machines.
I do however have some experience and training in troubleshooting electronics.

My gut feeling on this is a loose connection or broken /pinched wire. so in you can check the wiring and connections.

and it could be a problem with the axis driver. so you THINK the motor is the problem, hook up a known good motor and test again. if the problem continues it is down the line if the problem is corrected you KNOW your motor is bad.

USE caution troublshooting by substitution is a tried and true method. But make sure you power down when connecting disconecting wires. sudden disconnecting can damage controllers as they suddenly have power and no place for it to go.

The great thing about cnc is you have three sets of all the main parts so part swapping between axis can get you out of trouble.
Another caution is a bad wire or connection can damage a driver board.

Hope this helps.

Tin

PS :
wade We do like introductions here. so PLEASE post an into in the welcome area tell us a bit about yourself your home shop and your interest im building model engines. And location please.
Tin

I think Tin is right on- its more likely a connection between the motor and the driver. There is no software setting in mach that effects a motor in only one direction.

FIRST- NEVER disconnect a stepper motor wire from its controller while power is on. There are a few drivers that can stand this, but most will be zapped.

Switch the X and Y motors on their driver connection- if you used a G540 this is a 10 second plug/unplug

If the problem stays with the motor the motor is the problem.
If the problem goes away a loose connection was the problem.

If the problem stays with the driver, then it is likely the wire carrying the Direction signal between the driver and the breakout board is loose.

I think Tin is right on-
Thanks Ron I am always a little nervous with CNC advice I feel I am still learning I work on scale systems for a living.
I do think this is an area where the guys that do there own retrofit have the advantage over buying off the shelf better understanding of the hardware nuts and bolts end of things. And having played with electronics on and off for 30 years dont hurt.
Tin

I went to check the wires going to the stepper motor and they were wrapped in black tape by the last owner I presume. When I got the tape off, this is what I saw. The yellow wire was loose, and as I turned the plug, the blue wire fell off also. I will get the wires soldered and see if that fixes things. Thank you for the tip on checking the wires.

MVC-691F.jpg

It seems you found your problem
But you do owe me payment for my help..... an introduction :D
Tin

Problem solved. The piece of wires in the photo were an extension to the original wire plug coming from the control box in the back of the mill. I just hooked the original plug into the stepper motor plug and instant success. I do not see why the other owner thought he needed more length, as the original wires are long enough to go the length of the X axis with no problem. I appreciate your help in troubleshooting the problem. By the way, how do I post my personal info in the Welcome area? I can't seem to locate it.

just go to the wecome sub fora second from the top in the forum area and post an introduction.
Tin

I went to check the wires going to the stepper motor and they were wrapped in black tape by the last owner I presume. When I got the tape off, this is what I saw. The yellow wire was loose, and as I turned the plug, the blue wire fell off also. I will get the wires soldered and see if that fixes things. Thank you for the tip on checking the wires.

One concern I would have is that the broken wire may have caused a drive failure. As some mentioned above stepper drives don't like to have the motor disconnected. Some drives are more robust than others.

As an aside try the minimize the use of connectors when wiring up motors. Bad connectors can lead to really difficult to diagnose problems. You get what you pay for when it comes to connectors, good ones are expensive so it is better to eliminate their use when possible.

Latest posts

Back