Stepper board question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I purchased a 1 axis stepper driver board on e-bay. I expected it to come with an application data sheet or info on how to hook it up, but it didn't.
Picture here: http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/chucketn/Digital RT controller/

On the left is the input from the control circuit from top to bottom +5v, Pul, Dir and EN. I do not know what values PUL, DIR and EN should be.
On the right from top to bottom: A+, A-, B+, B-, +24V, GND.

This driver is to become part of my Digital RT controller project.

Anyone familiar with this Stepper Driver? It's based on the TB6560AHO chip.

Can anyone suggest a simple test setup to see if it works?

I have a TEC CBA45-01101 3v unipolar stepper I want to drive with it.

I also have 5VDC and 12VDC wall warts to provide power for testing. I do know from the E-Bay listing it can handle 12-24v for stepper supply.How can I provide simple Pul, Dir and EN signals to the input? Can I safely drive a 3v stepper with 12v?

Mods if this post should be in another sub board, please let me know.

Chuck

Pul is step, dir is direction you may need an arduino to go between the driver board and the computer, unless you are using a parallel port, there is a ton of code out there for the arduino to run a CNC it could be adapted from 3d printer code as well
Hope this helps,
Matt
Ps depending on how you interface it you could use one of the drivers from pololu.com and I forgot to mention try not to remove the stepper wire while the board is powered you will release the magic smoke

Have never seen on of these boards but everything is marked.
these are cheap boards so stay under the 24v rating lest ye release magic smoke.

this is designed for a 4 wire stepper.

your gnd and 24v is power in +- a is one leg of the motor +- B is the other leg . 5v is logic voltage dir is your directions pulse input and -stp is your step input.

I also have 5VDC and 12VDC wall warts to provide power for testing. I do know from the E-Bay listing it can handle 12-24v for stepper supply.How can I provide simple Pul, Dir and EN signals to the input? Can I safely drive a 3v stepper with 12v?

12volts is fine but I doubt if a wall wart will provide any real amps a working stepper needs some power.

you will need a device designed to generate pulse and direction signals.
no problem overvolting the stepper. as long as it is not rediculous even 8x is ok.

Look for somthing like this for a power supply

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/hrp-75-15.shtml
TRC deals in Mean well brand yes China import but decent stuff.

This should be in the cnc section . I will move it.
Tin

Hi Chuck

A simple way for testing a stepper driver:

- connect +5V, +24V and GND to a power supply
- connect Enable to GND
- connect a wire to Pulse and repeatedly touch +5V and GND with the free end of the wire
- if the stepper motor doesn't move, connect Enable to +5V and try again
- connect Dir alternatively to GND and +5V to change direction
- NEVER connect Pul, Dir and En to +24V.

If you want something a bit "serious", make a variable frequency oscillator with a NE555 (lots of circuits on the web) and put two switches on Dir and Enable.

Roberto

Back