Stephenson's Rocket--Working Model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am not really a model train buff. I know that any number of people are, and get great joy from model trains, but they have never really interested me that much. However---I have always been intrigued by Stephenson's Rocket, which was the first or second commercial train engine driven by steam. I was lucky enough to find a 3D model of this train, but it is made in a different software than mine. I can import it, and view it, even take dimensions from it, but I can not change the scale nor manipulate any of the part files. This model has steam cylinders 1.3" in diameter and the large front wheels are 9 3/8" diameter. I may rework the design to a much simpler configuration with 5/8" cylinders and 4 1/2" diameter wheels. I would start out by modeling and building the two engines.
mV4PtK.jpg

Brian, if I may make a suggestion, 1st if you want a model that is going to operate make sure that there is a track near you where you can run it, the joy in these model is running them. 2nd determine what gage (Distance between inside of rails) you want the model to be when completed, then let this drive everthing else, so your model ends up proportionally sized. Having researched the clubs around the USA several years ago when I was president of Golden Gate Live Steamers, the most popular gage track then was 7 1/2" gage, a lot of clubs on the East Coast have 7 1/4" gage.

Ken--This engine will end up being a "shelf queen", same as the other 34 engines I have built. I have no intention of running it at a track. This engine falls into the "Give Brian something to do" category. I will pick up a bit more machining experience, stretch the old grey matter a bit, and share my build with others who watch the forum.----Brian

Ken,
I have fancied building a rocket in G scale or 16mm...So I am watching with interest.

Ian

This mornings work consisted of modeling the engine base. It doesn't look like a lot, but all of the math data is embedded in the solid models. This afternoon I will recreate the cylinder and valve body and fit it to the engine frame.
9q2pQj.jpg

And as the day wears on, the components are beginning to get much simpler. More related to machining and silver soldering than a complex bunch of platework tig welded together.
RpFP25.jpg

Brian !
A really interesting project !
I'm waiting ....

I am not really a model train buff. I know that any number of people are, and get great joy from model trains, but they have never really interested me that much. However---I have always been intrigued by Stephenson's Rocket, which was the first or second commercial train engine driven by steam. I was lucky enough to find a 3D model of this train, but it is made in a different software than mine. I can import it, and view it, even take dimensions from it, but I can not change the scale nor manipulate any of the part files. This model has steam cylinders 1.3" in diameter and the large front wheels are 9 3/8" diameter. I may rework the design to a much simpler configuration with 5/8" cylinders and 4 1/2" diameter wheels. I would start out by modeling and building the two engines.
mV4PtK.jpg
Hello Brian,
Any chance I can get the solid models? I use Solidworks and it may be able to read the files. I am actually looking for a Mississippi Steamer to build, but this looks interesting. Minnie was a lot of fun (and work) to build but now getting bored...

Hello Brian,
Any chance I can get the solid models? I use Solidworks and it may be able to read the files. I am actually looking for a Mississippi Steamer to build, but this looks interesting. Minnie was a lot of fun (and work) to build but now getting bored...
Don't know if it's the same one but it piqued my interest and I found a very detailed step model on Grabcad that includes the tender.

Hi, I modelled this one in CAD from a set of PDF drawings I found. These I could make available if anyone is interested. Here’s a screenshot of my CAD model.
D0F14044-3525-4D1C-B7C4-E3731A7F4F55.jpeg
1B043FB8-D582-4215-B2DF-0BA47A2D3D5C.jpeg

Tomcat--After I have completed my modeling and actually built this beast I will sell you a complete set of engineering drawings to build it for $25 Canadian funds and give you the solid model.---Brian

DickF, I would be interested in te drawings please.
Ian
Hi Ian, sure no problem. I’m new here so I don’t know if I can upload the drawings to the forum or whether they have to be mailed. Can you help. The pdf is about 20mb

Hi Ian, sure no problem. I’m new here so I don’t know if I can upload the drawings to the forum or whether they have to be mailed. Can you help. The pdf is about 20mb
maybe you can place the drawings on GoogleDrive and send the link?

With a bit more design work, all of the multiple plate welded up brackets and cross-head support stands become individual machined pieces. This isn't finished yet, because I have to add the valve body, and it may fall exactly in the same place as those two big round shouldered cylinder mounts. this is something i will know about a bit later today.
8d83Yr.jpg

So, this is what we end up with. The cylinder is 5/8" bore x 1 1/2" stroke. The green base everything is mounted to is a direct "scale down" of the original Rocket base. I have mounted the steam chest in the same location as the original Rocket steam chest, but for now I have the control rod coming out the opposite end of the steam chest. Everything is symmetrical, so it can be easily reversed.
uF1R2H.jpg

Latest posts

Back