Stephenson Rocket

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are plans available for this train engine? I've looked but haven't come up with much. I'd really like to make one. I've liked is ever since I was little. Maybe even some good ine drawings?

Thanks,

Or even "Northumbrian" that is being covered in the current issues.

Knew I'd seen a Rocket model, this one is solid silver but I have seen some in the usual yellow.

Or this one at the Model Engineers exhibition a few weeks ago, only about 6" long, bit small for my liking

Mention of drawings here

Jason

I have a set of plans from LBSC for a Rocket-esque engine he did called Rainhill. The plans are not at all his usual words and music - the originals run to maybe 8 printed pages total - but for an experienced modeler they're more than sufficient.

I have a half-built one sitting on my pile of finish-it-eventually models - gave up on it because of the wheels (was going to do them as solid disks and decided that would look awful, but couldn't find decent spoked ones).

The plans I got were from UK - cost me a total of about 8 quid mailed to my door.

Alan

There's a book by Michael R. Bailey and John P. Glithero, The Engineering and History of Rocket ([UK] National Railway Museum. 2000), with enough drawings, sketches, paintings, and photos, from which you could pull together a decent set of plans of your own. I recommend the book.

I have a set of plans from LBSC for a Rocket-esque engine he did called Rainhill.

The "Northumbrian" that I mentioned above is a more upto date version of Rainhill and uses the same castings. It would be quite easy to use this as the base mechanical design and embelish it to look more like Rocket.

Jason

Here's one i built earlier(much eairlier),It is Rainhill by LBSC about 45 years old now.
Don
Picture015.jpg

Wow. That's a beautiful job. Excellent detail and finish. Very nice.

I wouldn't mind building one of these ;)

I've looked for plans but with no luck :(

Trevithick2.JPG

Thanks guys for all the input!!! I'll try and get me a copy of that book. Maybe start drawing up some of the parts.

Vernon said:
Ah, that's simply amazing. What gauge is it?
It's 3 1/2" gauge
Don

Hi There, Do you know if anybody has come up with any plans for Stephensons rocket,I started it 40years ago with plans from MAP,I think it stands for allied plans services but I don'think they exist anymore,I would be interested if anybody knows where you could purchase any plans regards. Ondriff

I started it 40years ago with plans from MAP,I think it stands for allied plans services but I don'think they exist anymore
The name MAP is gone, but all the plans are still available from the current owners of MODEL ENGINEER. The company has changed hds a few times, but they keep selling the old plans.

See http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17344/stephensons-rocket-lo958 for Rocket- it is 12.50 pounds

Many thanks for the information I will get on to that tomorrow bed time here now ,thanks once again . Ondriff

Latest posts

Back