Stephens knuckle head build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First mock up of lower end of knuckle head engine here we have crank and rods to assemble
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371311.758143.jpg
Crank trued up and ready to go in crankcase note all rotating parts employee boll or roller bearings
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371384.295368.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371546.106192.jpg
Crank installed in crankcase end play +.005
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371668.560211.jpg
No problem remove some metal here
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371735.019687.jpg
Then comes camshaft box which houses all gears and pulleys
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449371900.247155.jpg
Roller valve lifters installed in lifter guides
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372035.606291.jpg
Next spacer and drive gears for cam and oil pump and distributor shaft
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372304.361257.jpg
Then the cam and distributor shafts
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372412.349036.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372426.198841.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372461.622503.jpg
Need to make another spacer for hereView attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372597.194394.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372651.652403.jpg
Then the jack shaft and belt
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372775.742206.jpg
Starter shaft and belt
View attachment ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372910.467436.jpg
Guess that's maximum of photos I can upload for this post. I think this guy Jack just might know what he's doing OF COURSE HE DOES his plans are just awesome everything fits perfectly, gears mesh right, belts are tight, rotation is smooth, screw holes line up-just a little massage here and there. Next post we will put on pistons and cylinders bye🤓

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByModel Engines1449372442.220122.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 980
I am very intrested in this motor and build thread. I hope to build this one also, and your thread is a great kickstart.

I have noticed in your photos that you are using belt drive inside the case. And was wandering if this was your choice or do the plans specify them.? The real motor is using an all gear drive so, Ease of assembly is the obvious choice,although I was under the impression the motor was scaled complete.

Great work and will be waiting for next weeks episode

Hi Stephen

I just want you to know how excited I am about your build of my motor. It has been a long time coming for me to see it become a reality. This shows the world how good a machinist you really are, I wish that more of the younger people would take up where us older guys left off as conventional machinists, They have to remember we made the first CNC with a good old stand behind Lathe, and Miller.
Again I want to thanks Steve for doing a great job this kind of talent you were borne into.

Jack
Draw-Tech

I am very intrested in this motor and build thread. I hope to build this one also, and your thread is a great kickstart.

I have noticed in your photos that you are using belt drive inside the case. And was wandering if this was your choice or do the plans specify them.? The real motor is using an all gear drive so, Ease of assembly is the obvious choice,although I was under the impression the motor was scaled complete.

Great work and will be waiting for next weeks episode

Hi Naiveambition

The reason for the belts is for the starter motor, which once running, with the use of a knife switch it will turn into a 12 V generator. (Light a bulb or something.) This whole motor was designed from pictures,drawings,some actual dimensions from a real KH. Every part of this motor has to be made, oil line fittings, because could not find with the right threads, and tube size. The carburetor, total from scratch, so prepare to have a magnifier handy. It has a lot of Harley, and a little of me.

Jack
Draw-Tech

Last edited:
Naiveambition

Jack said it all, when you get into the build you will understand all the thought and design Jack put into the design of this engine, like how the oil from the top end drains back first down drain tubes on outside and also down pushrods tubes down to lifters
And lifter guides have small grooves to allow oil to pass through to crankcase thus oiling entire valve system. I don't know if Harley's work that way but it's little details like this that make Jacks plans great.
Steve

Thanks for the response. I hope that I didn't come off as rude concerning the plans. Was simply asking a question of why.:) .

I am duly impressed with the plans and the build itself. So much so that my long term goal is to be able to trade this motor to a friend for a 69 olds cutlass. And I think that with him being a big Harley fan, he will be super impressed with this motor and might be enough to win him over.

"This whole motor was designed from pictures,drawings,some actual dimensions from a real KH."

Surely the KH was a sidevalve (flathead) engine with four separate cams on four separate spindles each with its own gear? And the Knucklehead was designated EL and then FL?

Nonetheless, wonderful drawings and some wonderful workmanship on display here. I stand in awe at both.

Might have to steal some of your methods and build me a model of my 42 WLA Flathead Harley engine. No rocker gear to mess about with. But machining the cylinders in one piece including the ports could be a challenge to this non-CNC machinist. But certainly do-able.

Doh!!! I just realized you were using KH to refer to Knuckle Head!!! Doh. Got it confused with the HD factory model designations. (K was a 750 Flathead, KH was a 900 Flathead that morphed into todays XL Sportsters.)

Naiveambition
I didn't think you were rude, not one bit. Thanks for your participation that's what makes all this fun sharing ideas, opinions etc. I hope you are able to build it some day and to any one else that builds it I would love to share extra parts that I have left over i.e. O rings and other materials I had to buy in quantity . Thanks everyone
Steve

I've been riding and working on Harley's for about 25 years now and that is a work of Art. Jack you have done a great job at the design drawings I just down loaded them also and will start this project as soon as my shop is finished. Stephen you are doing fantastic job I can't wait until I start. I've build a lot full size motors in the past mostly high HP but this is the coolest thing out there today. I found a guy in Ohio that has build that V-twin that was in Popular Machinist way back in the day but its nothing compared to this build and design here. Thanks guys you have inspired me to get off my ass and getter-done.

Hi...New to the Forum, been lurking in the shadows. But I couldn't let this go without comment. I worked at a local technical school for motorcycle repair for 18 yrs., the last 5 or so years in the Harley Early Model Program. We covered all the years from 1936 to 1999. To the point, aside from some internals, you really nailed this motor down. The heads alone would have scared me off if I were to try to duplicate them. I appreciate your work and I hope others well do so as well. Well done! You should be very proud...................Regards, jkohlbrecher

Driller, where did you buy those tiny gears from for the cam drive?

Hi All
Thanks for all the nice remarks, Naiveambition as Steve said questions create progress. We all are a world family to help each other when we can. (keep up the remarks) jkohlbrecher, thank you, I only wish I had a real motor to reverse engineer, it would have been more accurate. What can I say about Steve, (Just look at his work) Hopper I believe it was from http://www.sdp-si.com/ great place. Here is a sample of the parts of my V 12 radiator.
Jack
draw-tech

Pulleys_&_Belt.jpg

Hopper
Jack is correct I purchased all gears belts and pulleys from Stock drive products If I remember right cost was about a $100.00 for all
Steve

Thanks guys for the pointer to SDP on the gears. A treasure trove of useful bits to be sure!

Latest posts

Back