STEEL BOILER

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleboost

Reaction score
Hi
Finally got my boiler welded today
I put a air pressure test on it there is one pin prick leak i will re weld this then hydraulic test it to 250 psi
The working pressure will be 100 psi
P7250099.jpg

P7250107.jpg

P7250108.jpg

John

I'll be building one very much like that rather soon.Yours looks real good..Where you going to get glass tube water level guage?..

LOVE the boiler, but a few questions.

What amount of steam do you think it will produce? What do you intend to use it for? What are the specs? How big is it?

How much did it cost?

The boiler is 22 inches high 10 inch diameter it has 19 1 inch fire tubes
Its intended use is to power my marine steam engine
The boiler is way to small to use on a boat but will run it nicely for display purposes
The boiler has been built just for this, a bigger one is planned ,up to now it has only cost me time and power to weld it up,
I have been looking on the net to find some 1/2 inch gauge glass the fittings i can make myself.
I intend to use solid fuel
John

doubleboost
I am working towards building boiler for my vertical marine steam engine to power boat that I will yet have to build..Presently on my build sheet is making patterns to cast bronze parts for a hand operated make-up pump like is being sold by Pearl Engine...I'll cast some extras if you interested we might work a trade of some kind.

handpump.jpg

Great job!!! I plan on building a boiler to run my models with. I haven't decided which type yet though?

Thanks for sharing, Wes

Hi
I spent a relaxing afternoon yesterday making a wash out plug for the boiler
It was a good opportunity to practice some screw cutting 1 1/2 inch BSP
a nice meaty thread.
As my lathe has no gearbox i set up a compound gear train to cut 11 TPI
The job went well no broken tools ,when i got near finished size i removed the chuck from the lathe to test fit the plug.
It would start but was tight i checked the thread pitch to my horror it was wrong ,i checked the change wheels all seemed good .I had previously screw cut the thread in the boss the plug was to fit
I looked again at the gear chart the last gear was 24 tooth a small black mark had changed the 21 in to a 24 on the chart .at least i found the problem ,
Now to start again
P7270126.jpg

P7270127.jpg

P7270128.jpg

Latest posts

Back