Steam power saw mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,
Cool! thanks for sharing. as a teenager I worked in a really small mill in the NW, not steam, circular blader rather than band but the pics sure brought back some memories...

hard work.

Randel

Great photos and narration, thanks for sharing with us. I did not especially like the fellow sitting with his legs stretched out underneath that big blade while it was being sharpened. I'm just getting more and more like an old woman I guess, but it was creepy just the same.

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
Great photos and narration, thanks for sharing with us. I did not especially like the fellow sitting with his legs stretched out underneath that big blade while it was being sharpened. I'm just getting more and more like an old woman I guess, but it was creepy just the same.

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim

got to say that that bit didn't sit right with me either! I did find it interesting that it looks very much like they
re-cycled the blade by cutting new teeth on what was originally the back side of the blade. Not so sure that
would be worth the trouble for a home-shop sized blade...

Joe

It is possible that those "teeth" on the back side are for indexing the blade for grinding.

Or its a double cut blade, cutting on the return stroke of the carriage,

kf2qd & te_gui

Both of your suggestions make more sense than my idea...

Thanks!

Hello,

In the Netherlands there is a steamsawmill, still in working order.
Look at this site.
It is in Dutch. Just on it and you will see interesting things.
http://www.stoomzagerij.nl/
best wishes from the Netherlands.

Nemt

joe d said:
Hi Jim

got to say that that bit didn't sit right with me either! I did find it interesting that it looks very much like they
re-cycled the blade by cutting new teeth on what was originally the back side of the blade. Not so sure that
would be worth the trouble for a home-shop sized blade...

Joe

The teeth on the back of the saw is called a sliver tooth...it's for cutting the slivers when they run the log back to take another cut. The guy sitting there is on his lunch break...ya think.

Regards
Philly...filer 38 years and don't miss the BS

Goodness, gracious! I won't complain about the cost of lumber anymore! :eek: :eek:

nemt said:
Hello,

In the Netherlands there is a steamsawmill, still in working order.
Look at this site.
It is in Dutch. Just on it and you will see interesting things.
http://www.stoomzagerij.nl/
best wishes from the Netherlands.

Nemt

Here is a link to a lot of steam engines and details. It can also be found from Nemts link but would be easy to miss.
http://members.chello.nl/f.gerritsen4/index.htm
Once there, click on the headings in the left column to go to the various pages. There are some awesome pictures and information in this site. There are also a lot of pictures of old motorcycles and old cars if you look in the right place.

All the credit for this goes to Nemt for posting the link iin the first place. Thanks Nemt. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Latest posts

Back