Steam Power Hit & Miss Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Man

Reaction score
This is 1" bore with 1" stroke. I copied the body style from my Hercules 1 3/4 hp Hit & Miss engine. Runs good on steam or compressed air. It is a powerful little engine I had it attached to several different things just for fun. It ran my pencil sharpener so fast it would eat a whole pencil in a few seconds. I ran a tiny generator and had no trouble lighting up a 60 watt light bulb. It runs very slow or very fast, I don't recall every checking the RPMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMTFlqyeMuw&list=FLb4IkyiaSsYi5Pvvm8veKwQ&feature=mh_lolz

Last edited:
What makes it a hit and miss engine?--Do you know what a hit and miss engine is?

It has 2 flywheels and body shape that almost likes like a hit & miss engine. It is not really hit and miss just a body that almost looks like one. This is my ugly engine. Well.....all my engines are a little bit ugly I don't waste time and effort making them look beautiful, why should I it won't make the engine run any better. All the time wasted building a beautiful engine could be better spent building another engine.

Yes I know what a hit and miss engine is, I own a Hercules 1 3/4 hp Hit & Miss engine. Sold my Economy 1.5 hp Hit & Miss.

Last edited:
Okay--I wasn't trying to be as ignorant as I probably sounded. A lot of people really don't know what makes a hit and miss engine a hit and miss engine. Many people think that anything with a horizontal cylinder and a pair of large flywheels is a hit and miss engine, and it isn't so. As far as pretty is concerned--Yes functionality has to be the first concern. However a little bit of pretty never detracted from anything. A gentleman named Chuck Fellows built and posted about a Hit and Miss air engine that was exactly that. It had the typical configuration, but also had a set of governors and a hit and miss mechanism. Many of us, (me included) built it about 3 or 4 years ago.----Brian

Latest posts

Back