Steam Launch Victorias first run

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fcheslop said:
Hi Pete, it will be a while that plant of yours could do with a hull :big:

Frazer

Maybe; but I got my Northumbrian to get finished and then a pile of bits that used to be a Simplex to re-furb and re-build for next summer.

But I do have a hull, another of my fathers projects.........

Pete

Hi John,many thanks I have never built the Duval full size but it will be one for a larger launch as I prefere the simplicity of the oscillators for marine work they never fail me
best wishes Frazer
Hi Pete,Looks like you are going to be busy for some time.Congratulations on the Northumbria build I had seriously looked at building it then the frame fiasco started
Victoria will be put to one side till the weather improves as i need to seal the hull for a float test
So its onto a simple toy Miss America
Thanks to all for the interest as I was a little uncertain about posting boat builds
One for bill
:big:
001-3.jpg

Thanks Frazer.I have been following the builds on the Mamod site and have started building my Miss America.
Bill L.

Hi Bill,good luck have you started on the plant or the hull.A few dimensions are missing on my plant the crank to pivot centers are1 3/16 and from cylinder pivot to port the measurement worked to .286 a bit of an odd size.The cylinder is made from a bit of K&S 1/4 OD tube .The crank is 1/8 dia and the cylinder pivot 3/32.The safety valve is 1/4 26tpi BSB.
kind regards Frazer

Fraser

Thanks, the Northumbrian frame fiasco was only the start of it. You probably know the ME site now has a whole host of issues listed. I'm glad I came in after it was discovered, I'd have been pretty unimpressed if I'd made the frames to find they were wrong.

looking forward to your boat builds

Pete

Pete,The frame bother simply put me off the build as iv had so many problems in the past its small wonder so many people must have simply given up on the hobby and they never used to correct the drawing so even after 40 years plus people are making parts that are no good its a disgrace I try not to use those suppliers unless there is no alternative.I built a well known 2inch scale ploughing engine and the Stephenson link clashed with the boiler the designers solution was to put a dent in the boiler it was another known to them problem ???
best wishes Frazer

Fraser

Apparently the drawings are up to date, but I just did mine from the magazine articles, so maybe I was lucky and nothing major materialised. Although I do have a box of bits, much like Bert Munroe’s “sacrifices to the god of speed”.

What does surprise me is GLR told me they had sold in the order of 70 sets of castings, and the gauge 1 society had the rights, so they were another source. Not many people have surfaced who seem to be actively building the thing. And more to the point the designer seems remarkably quiet.

Anyway, way off topic. Back to Victoria……..

Pete

Latest posts

Back