Steam help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Model Steam engines, I want to build a steam engine as my next project not to small not to big . My previous experience with steam is non existent. I will follow all safety procedures pressure testing etc but I want to run on steam and not air anybody know a good starting point .I do not want to build this quickly if it takes me a long time not a problem, preferable machine from stock and not castings
Regards Jamie

Hi Fingers,

I would suggest a wobbler...If your relatively new to steam, and machining, it will get you going with steam project, without getting bogged down in a lot of detail. It wouldn't take too long and the experience gained would be very valuable.

There are a few boiler plans in our archives that would easily run a medium to good sized wobbler

I know Model Engineer is doing a Series on building the Stuart V10 and H10. These are favorites amoung many.

Is there a particular field of steam that you are interested. Marine, Locomotive, auto, ?

Dave

What is your steam source. Are you wanting to build your own boiler or are you wanting to run at a show that has steam lines?.
either way a simple engine is here
http://npmccabe.tripod.com/mccaberunner.htm this engine is also being done currently as a team build (TB4)
Tin

Thanks Dave and Tin
I will try be a little more specific about my plan. I have experience with regard to making things just not steam engines I am a toolmaker by trade machining is not a problem, I have just completed a flame eater http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=11674.0 along with some Stirling engines all of which run ;D. I would like to try my hand at a stationary steam engine with boiler I am not after an easy engine but one which is more of a longer project and a nice looking design after that I am open to other ideas
Regards jamie

HI just a bit from me i love steam engines all of my engines are home grown they all run good on air but I'm not confident in my self to billed a steam boiler as one mistake can led to disaster theirs plenty of people in this forham that can help you in your quest as per for give spelling and have fun

Hello James,

So many engines, so little time, but here is my approach. First, many model engine designs, even complex ones, can be made from bar stock by a clever chap with a little skill and creativity. It just takes more time, which you say isn't a major factor. Replicating some cast parts can be a real challenge but a challenge might be one of your project objectives.

What I build is to a great extent determined by my building objectives. If I want something simple and quick then a wobbler (oscillator) is a good choice. Oscillators also are a prime choice for work needs, specifically power for model boats. But if I want a substantial project which will present me with a challenge and display (or test) my skills then somethng like a twin horiz mill engine, a twin vertical marine engine, or a beam engine is a good choice.

I'll make a couple of suggestions, the 1st photo below is of the Stuart Models "Beam" engine. The flywheel is 7" in diameter and the cylinder is 1" bore x 2" stroke so it's not too big but not too small. The Stuart Beam is frequently a "second" engine, that is, after making a smaller engine to learn the basic machining processes required to build a model engine, modelers often choose this as a next project. I think this is one of the least complex of the currently available model beam engines but it still requires quite a bit of skill and can be improved (embellished?) in detail to create an interesting engine. Drawings alone are available and a book "Building the Stuart Beam Engine" (A. Smith, TEE Publications, ISBN 0905100662) The horizontal mill engine equivalent to the Stuart Beam engine is the Stuart "Victoria" engine (Photo #3, 7" flyweheel, 1" bore x 2" stroke). All the above applies, including the book availability, and the Victoria also is often built as a twin.

The second beam engine suggestion is the "Sanderson" beam engine. This is an older British design, a model of an engine that actually existed, and is a larger model than the Stuart with a 9" flywheel and 1.5" bore x 2.5" stroke. As a future project of my own a few years ago, because castings were becomming expensive, I went over the design and deteremined that it could be built from bar stock. It won't be easy, but it can be done and will probably result in a better looking engine than if it was made from the castings, which can vary in quality and machinability. This engine has a lot of detail and can provide a builder with a great showcase for their skills. Drawings are available and a full construction article (including drawings) was published a few years ago in the Model Engineer Magazine. Back issues or article reprints should not be hard to find. I know of a couple of "doubled" models of this engine which are very impressive. The model Sanderson pictured below was recently built (by someone else) entirely from bar stock confirming that it can be done.

These are but two of many project designs available. If you want to see a large variety of very interesting model steam engine projects in one place visit the Polly Engineering website and download their catalogue (pdf) and have a look. Naturally their business is selling castings kits but also lots of those engines could be built from raw stock. Disclaimer: I have no interest in Polly Engineering other than as friend-of-the-firm and a satisfied customer.

STBEAM5.jpg

Sanderson1.jpg

Victoria.jpg

Fingers, what size of engine do you have in mind for your undertaking in live steam? That would help a great deal in narrowing down the field in regards to suggestions. The engines listed above are beautiful specimens to be sure but can be a bit 'large' for some builders, not to mention the size of the pressure vessel (boiler) that would be needed to steam them once completed. The cost of the larger engines plays into the mix as has already been mentioned. Do you fancy horizontal, vertical, oscillators (wobblers) or the one-off types of engines. For me to offer up any suggestions, I'd like to know some more details on what your capacities in terms of machines available and how much money you're willing to throw at this project as well as preference of using castings or making the engine from bar stock to get a better feel for what it is you're asking. The selections are endless but to offer up any decent suggestion will require a bit more specific information. I'm certain given a bit more detail the members here will be able to guide you in making a good choice.

BC1
Jim

The marine twin cylinder steam engine designed by Bogstandard and built by a few of us here might be a good choice. You can build it as written or scale it up as I did.

Thanks lads I have been busy at work, only getting back to this now
Kind regards for such helpful answers I know I have definitely started my steam journey in the right place, I really like the look of all of those engines i would lean more towards the Sanderson style but how can I decide.
I really am quite a novice even to talk about different types I would be only lying in truth I do not know anything about the different types even looking at the completely different styles makes me wonder.
I think I have jumped a step ahead of myself asking for a design to build.
I need to take a few steps back I know I can make stuff so what, first I need to understand how they work I think I was getting carried away by just gong to start building!
I am going to go to the book store tomorrow and see if I can get a book on steam engines before I make any head first decisions.
Speaking from your guys opinions who have the experience and have been there and done that with steam, what would ye recommend to me if I gave only one request and that was STEAM!

Regards Jamie

Thanks pat I will have a quick look there now before I fall Asleep 1:30am and a busy day at work.
That might save me a few euro and a wasted trip to the bookstore tomorrow.
Cheers Jamie

Back