Steam engne 001

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John S, thank you for your support ;D The bottles of bling used so far are actually bars of bling! (read on for an update)

Mr Standard.
Well I happen to like the axe wound I produced! I didn't want to change the line of the base so I figured on just the bit that was directly BEHIND the flyheel! ;D

It will look good by the time I have finished.... To me anyway!

Now the fact of it running??? That's a different question all together! ;D

I don't Think I would ever call anyones creations 'c4ap' Ian .... even if I thought it... It's a good job Having met you I know your a nice bloke really, else I could be offended ;)

Chuck, your a gent. Thank you. I'll be making a little vid' soon of some of the polishing I have to do for this engine. It will come complete with a large disclaimer as to the possibilities of injury but it will show how I do things (I may not make it public on you tube and just allow it for this group, I will see? )

Well I'm off out to HACK THE HELL out of some more metal! That should be fun ;D

Ralph.

Sorry if I cut a nerve Ralph, not intended, trouble is you've set your own standards so high, bites don't seem to fit. I know it's your engine but perhaps the supplement to the base edge removed from the inside edge of the flywheel??
Once again SORRY :bow:
Regards Ian

No need to worry Ian, If I thought anyone was being particularly mean I'd have told them so.... I view all the comments on here about my styling with a large dose of humour.
I did notice the trio of :big: And as I said I know that you are a nice bloke too. :)
I took no offence at John's (BS) super scathing attack! :p 'Heathen' Really John that's not being nice to all those other Creative people out there! :big:

I'll not change what I've done for the simple fact that it is what I decided upon and that's the way it is going to stay (sorry John).

It has now been polished into the rest of the base and I think it looks like it should be there... I have seen many steam engines with huge cutouts in the base for the flywheel and more besides. So what's the problem?

I as the creator of this little beastie to be, reserve the right to muck it up as you see it and alter it aesthetically as I see it. :p

Anyway on with the show... I would post a pic of the base on it's own but my phone decided it didn't want to store half the pics I took tonight so I'll have to show you these instead...

The crank web. (only photo stored!)
DSC01840.jpg

Getting the dimensions correct on the crank pin.
DSC01841.jpg

The engine so far.....
DSC01845.jpg

DSC01846.jpg

DSC01847.jpg

DSC01848.jpg

Well that's it for now. You are never going to please all the crowd! But you do have to stand by your decisions in life ( I think this one is minor compared to most!) Feel free to comment... I may listen to some of it?!?! :big:

Ralph.

Ralph,

That base looks absolutely glorious! BTW that flywheel and spinner reminds me of a 1920's vintage wheel/tire on one of the Packards down at the local car museum. Just out-standing! Don't let those jealous blingmeisters rattle your cage! :big:

-Bret

Divided He ad said:
Feel free to comment... I may listen to some of it?!?! :big:

That's a first then :D ;D :D

Looking very good Ralph 8) ............ I suspect the polish cupboard is getting low, stock up mate, I've managed a runner but BLING may be over to you ::)

CC

Ralph, are you planning on polishing that any or leaving it sation finish? 8)
Tim

I was intrigued with that engine. When I saw the plans for it. You are doing a good job Ralph. Hope you post a video:eek:)

Wes

Ralphie,

I as the creator of this little beastie to be, reserve the right to muck it up as you see it and alter it aesthetically as I see it.

I see this as nearly a full hook, line and sinker.

Sorry about winding you up. But it was an opportunity not to be missed.

Of course, you are perfectly correct in your decision, it's your baby, you do with it as you wish, sod everyone else.

Lovely work by the way, and as someone has already said, when are you going to bling it up a bit.

Bogs

Bret, I see what you mean about the tyre.... hope there is no copyright still in existence ??? ;D

CC, the bling stocks should be ok for at least another 2 of this size creation... You could learn to polish, but it is probably time best spent making more stuff? (I just like shiny 8) )

Eric, I can't wait to take the vid'!!!

Tim, .... Well I was thinking of polishing it a little bit, you know to remove some of those machining marks ;)

Wes, That's why I chose this one... It looked a little different, see above regarding vid' ;D

Finally John....Ralphie!?! :-\ OK erm well....sounds like the kind of thing a girl would call me!
No falling here (well I might have stumbled when I first read it!) I just thought I'd make sure my position as creator was understood ;)

Thank you all for the nicer comments ;D

I'll get the cylinder finalised and then sort out the hole to be blocked in the end of the main body, then just clean it up a little and see if it works!? ??? :big:

Ralph.

OK, well here is the update....

001 is very nearly finished. I just have to set the timing on final assembly (hopefully tomorrow eve'?) and then it should be running?
If not I will not be making a video!!

I got a little carried away this eve' and polished it without making a vid' of the polishing so I will make one over the weekend.

Here are a few pic's of the final assembly.....

First a pic' of the base! (just for John ;D )
DSC01854.jpg

The piston has been milled to length (as per plans)
DSC01857.jpg

Then I assembled it to see what it would all look like when I finish it ;D

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

Keep those fingers crossed for tomorrow evening! ;D

Ralph.

Ralph,
You left a nasty thumbprint on the counterweight!

Seriously -- Absolutely beautiful!

Ralph :eek: ............ your gonna have to post out sunglasses to everyone before we can look at any more photo's ;D :D ;)

Coming on well mate, if it runs as well as it looks you'll almost have achieved perpetual motion 8)

Looking forward to tomorrows instalment :bow:

CC

Ralph your finishes are amazing!

That is craftsmanship on a level very few
would ever have the patience to achieve.

You do realize that each with each new one
your raising the bar for the next. ;)

Gorgeous work!!!

Rick

Drool!! Now thats what I'm talking about!! BLING!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Steve

I assumed someone would spot the prints Kevin... you been watching CSI?? Thankfully not the final build pic's so it will receive a final dust off before the last photo shoot! ;D

On my budget CC you'll have to find your own shades.... Maybe look through the bases of a couple of beer bottles? 8) :D

Rick, I am aware of the bar issue... sooner or later it will level off and I'll have my best to look at ;)

Steve, put your tongue back in! :big:

Eric, read the text.... final assembly and testing is hopefully tonight :p ;D

Dick, The polishing is getting easier as I do more. It's hard not to try too much to get the finish you want... It can rub quite a lot of material off if your not careful!

Thank you all for the more than kind comments... I just hope it performs as well as it looks :-\ ;D

Ralph.

You are now crowned

KING OF BLING :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Well done Ralph.

Where's the vid?

Thats what you ask everyone else.

John

Latest posts

Back