Steam Engine Factory Layout

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do remember seeing one i believe on this site around six years ago but cant seem to find it now. Perhaps the builder will post.

Nice engine. I can't see clear but it seems that the crank should be offset by 90º and not by 180º to start without help.

The finish on the engine looks very similar to anodised aluminium , which would be a strange choice of material for a steam engine .
On closer study the picture looks more like a well rendered 3D cad drawing than a photo ! any more info ?

I reckon youre right Abby. Looks very much like a cad dwg.

Yes this is a cad pic I got off the internet. Are there any engines similar to this one out there. Or again does anyone know of anyone who has built this engine. If not I have started it and would appreciate any input on the build. Here is one side of the cylinder partly done.

image.jpg

Cross head guides, the piston rod has to be kept straight to stop it jamming.
Yes I do understand what crosshead guides are for. That does not explain the disproportionate size or shape of these things. They do look like some sort of cover or shroud, but they are twice the diameter of the flippin cylinders. And why guard the crossheads but not the cranks?

Yes I do understand what crosshead guides are for. That does not explain the disproportionate size or shape of these things. They do look like some sort of cover or shroud, but they are twice the diameter of the flippin cylinders. And why guard the crossheads but not the cranks?

Charles, I had another look at the picture, as you say the guides are very big on diameter compared to the cylinders. I appears to me that the designer has the guides at a length to suit the stroke, but has made the diameter big enough to clear the rod up and down movements due to the throw of the crank.

Paul.

Back