Stealing Whole Posts

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems that this is starting to get a well established thing to do nowadays. It first started off on far eastern sites, now it seems to have got a lot closer to home.

I have been reliably informed that one sites owner has blatantly lifted one of my posts about how to make a tramming tool from the Madmodder site and dropped it directly onto his site, most probably because he doesn't have anyone on board that can write about anything interesting.

I have no issues with people linking to my posts, in fact I do it myself because it is a lot of trouble to duplicate posts on two different sites because it has to be tailored to the members on each site.

No one ever contacted me about if they could copy the post directly.

So be warned, this chap looks to be a post thief.

The site and person in question.

A chap called Nelson, and the site, http://www.***************.com/

I was a member of that site for about a week, and once I realised how bad it was, I couldn't get off there fast enough.

If I had his email address, I would do a bit of threatening.

John

Their Front Page states

"We are in the process of adding content to each section."

Shall leave the semantic of interpretation alone

Least they (he) did begin the post of subject with a link to the original from MadModder

Robert

Bogstandard said:
Have you a direct link to the post he stole on his website?

Just found it, http://www.***************.com/showthread.php?3953-Milling-machine-Tram-Tool-by-Bogstandard

Tim

title of thread sais: Milling machine Tram Tool by Bogstandard

did they rectify it? i mean he doesnt take credit for it now but gives it to bogstandard
pascal

Pascal,

I made that post when over on Madmodders. He could easily have linked to the article, but no, he stole the whole lot and put it onto his site, without even asking me if I minded. It doesn't matter if he attributed it to me or not, it is not an underhand thing we want to encourage.

That is why a few more of us are starting to use more watermarking in our pictures, as this sort of thing is starting to happen too frequently

I have already contacted him about it, but no reply as of yet.

How many other peoples' posts has he stolen in an attempt to make his slipshod website look like it is being frequented by more experienced people?

John

There is also the entire build sequence thread of Arnold's Coomber engine. There is no direct plagiarism of it having been built by anyone else but him, but then again, other than his name being listed, no other reference is used. A clear case of drag-and-drop piracy with subtle nuances added for effect. The complete article seems to have been posted this past Friday (11/18). I agree about having such fine work "stolen" and posted on other sites without direct permission of the originator should be eliminated.

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
There is also the entire build sequence thread of Arnold's Coomber engine.

Arnold appears to be a member of that site and by the look of the replies to the post there I would say it was Arnold himself that posted the original.

In the tramming tool question the post did carry a link to the original post. Perhaps a hazy citing of the source, but not a plagiarism.

So long as the source is listed these public post are available to everyone. To what level a reprint without permission extends is a question of is the battle really worth the fight.

I could tell the post, both, were either sourced or provided by the original author and now I'll shut up and drink my coffee afore the hole I dig for myself gets any deeper.

Robert

Well, yes, I see that now Fooz'. I had to go back twice to the site and make an attempt at finding out who the members were. The members list is rather obscure and not labeled as such. Anyway, our friend Arnold 'may' have posted his build to that site. If he has then I be bad. :-[ :hDe:

BC1
Jim

witches I tell you!!! witches they are!!!
(nevermind)

Jim,

I can't comment on Arnold's post, only mine. Arnold might be a genuine member on there and just contributing as he does on a few sites.

This is a partial part of the email that I sent to him. The rest was my personal writings to tell him what I am about to do if he didn't remove the post.

Nelson,

Could you please tell me the meaning of this post on your website

http://www.***************.com/showthread.php?3953-Milling-machine-Tram-Tool-by-Bogstandard

I don't ever remember giving you permission to steal it from the Madmodder website and allowing you to post it onto yours.

I don't mind anyone giving links to the article where it was first raised, but NOT as you have done, blatantly ripping it off and posting it on yours, just so that you can get more members.

This is his reply

There is both a link acknowledging where it came from and an acknowledgement of the author.

Please do not contact me again.

Nelson Timken

So it looks like he seems to think that every post on the net, including offerings from every member of this site, is fair game to be just picked up and posted onto his site.

Methinks it is now time to open up his dealings to other sites as well, just to see if they like the idea of someone stealing their posts.

John

Wow....friendly sort aint he.

Is he making money from the adds...I have to wonder?

Dave

Foozer said:
In the tramming tool question the post did carry a link to the original post. Perhaps a hazy citing of the source, but not a plagiarism.

So long as the source is listed these public post are available to everyone. To what level a reprint without permission extends is a question of is the battle really worth the fight.

I could tell the post, both, were either sourced or provided by the original author and now I'll shut up and drink my coffee afore the hole I dig for myself gets any deeper.

It was interesting to note that when the post was 1st put up, there was only a link to the thread on Madmodder, and no reference to who had actually written the post. There have since been a number of edits.

One thing that is quite worrying is that it would appear that someone has copied the pictures to host them on their forum, ( I say appear because only members can see the attached images ). Surely this is a blatent infringement of copyright, even theft?? of Bogs intellectual property, ie his pictures. That is assuming that Bogs hasn't given his permission for them to be copied/used in this way?

Tim

Tim & everyone else,

I have been approached many times for people to display my offerings on their websites and blogs, and in all but one case, I gave them my wholehearted permission.

I am a great believer in sharing knowledge, but the underhand way he has done this has really upset me. I thought that people who run websites were to my way of thinking, not as he thinks he is, above the laws of decency and fair play.

Thanks to all for your comments and help

John

spuddevans said:
It was interesting to note that when the post was 1st put up, there was only a link to the thread on Madmodder, and no reference to who had actually written the post. There have since been a number of edits.

One thing that is quite worrying is that it would appear that someone has copied the pictures to host them on their forum, ( I say appear because only members can see the attached images ). Surely this is a blatent infringement of copyright, even theft?? of Bogs intellectual property, ie his pictures. That is assuming that Bogs hasn't given his permission for them to be copied/used in this way?

Tim

Hey Tim

He's edited the thread from this morning. All the pictures were visible to me then...and I'm not a member. The pictures are not visible now and there is a wise ass comment in it's place

Check for your self..
Dave

Generally forums require you to relinquish copyright of anything you post to the forum. Most of the other forums I belong are very clear about this. This protects their ad revenue streams.

I know HMEM was setup without the idea of making money on the forum, but it also seems that they aren't protecting themselves from plagiarism, I found nothing about about terms of service. In general in the US anything you publish has copyright. Here, you're putting it in a public place with no specific ownership or usage rights declared. it might be open game for what is happening. I'm not sure how public forums play into this. HMEM should look into this. Madmodder.net also has no specific terms of service, but they are registered in the UK?

I know that the forum owners here are trying to keep things simple, but a few standard disclaimers and notices might give them some power to fight this sort of thing. Without ad revenue to protect, getting lawyers involved is unlikely, but sometimes all it takes is a firm letter.

Greg

Ok, so it leaves the poster to fend for themselves.

Greg

I thought it did ???

To all Members of this forum:

This plans section and this forum is not a place to exchange copy written material that has been published or authored by others.

No one on this board should offer such material for distribution or post it to this forum. A portion for illustration purposes or review are OK but not major sections of a work or an entire work.

No one here should ask another member for copies of plans, books, drawings, illustrations or other materials that are under copyright.

Respect the rights of other web sites. Do not copy material from other sites and post it here. If you see a web page of interest post a link to it.

Please do post plans etc that are out of copyright. Plans you have or post links.

If you are gifted in the design area and are willing to share plans that you have authored please share them.

And folks remember that if a member shares his or her plans they are the rightful copyright holder. Them sharing them on the board does not give every member here the right to distribute them freely or for profit.

Copyright infringement is illegal this board does not and will not promote or condone any illegal activity.

If any member feels that these rules are being broken or that there is copyright infringement on this board please contact one of the administrators.

Remember the copyrights of the contents of this board is held by this board and the member that posts that content.

Respectfully
Tin Falcon
Administrator

Tim

Back