Steady Runnnnner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankshafter

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
It seems like i have a steady runner in my Webster 4cycle.had it in pieces and done some polishing(kind of ::)). I must say I had some trouble with it running hot.The solution was that I had to turn off 0.08mm on the piston.
Now its time for the base, any suggestion?
Here's a video. Enjoy ;D

Regards CS

awesum job crankshafter :eek: 8) :bow:

that engine has a nice sound to it, if you want to cool it even more you could put a fan on the side of the cylinder.
the fan would be driven by a small belt running off the flywheel. the old hit and miss engines used a fan set up this way to cool them.
did you put some wd-40 in you fuel??? it will help lubricate the piston and in turn run cooler.

non the less you have a very nice engine ..................... so whats the next project going to be ;) ???

chuck

COOOOL..... Well you said it is now :big:

Seriously that looks and sounds fantastic ;D

Now its time for the base, anny suggestion?
well yes.... use spell check ( :big: ) then find something that can be wiped clean easily ;) Seems to be a messy little blighter!

A wooden box type base with all the gubbins inside? I assume that there is a coil fixed to the end of that HT lead and a battery that need somewhere to live?
Either that or a nice wooden display base and a separate box for the gubbins (if you got a router you can get some real nice edges)... Are you going to take it to any shows? If so I'd probably use the second so it is not too huge on the display stand. (coated in something easy to clean obviously!)

Just spouting idea's feel free to ignore or adapt them as required :D

I really like it.... now I'm going to have to work really hard to make all the engines I want to!!! Where am I going to find all the time ???

Ralph.

chuck foster said:
awesum job crankshafter :eek: 8) :bow:

that engine has a nice sound to it, if you want to cool it even more you could put a fan on the side of the cylinder.
the fan would be driven by a small belt running off the flywheel. the old hit and miss engines used a fan set up this way to cool them.
did you put some wd-40 in you fuel??? it will help lubricate the piston and in turn run cooler.

non the less you have a very nice engine ..................... so whats the next project going to be ;) ???

chuck
Hi chuck
I have been thinking of make a fan for cooling but in the future I will make a new cyl. with watercooling. Next project will be a 2 cyl. engine. I have a dream, to add. 1 cyl./project in the future project. ;D. Can you rec. some plans :)[/quote]

sorveltaja said:
Nice looking engine :). And has totally sound of its own ;D. Also fun to watch. That's one reason why I'm building one too.

Could that cooling-problem be solved by making cooling fins of aluminum or brass? And separate iron cylinder liner?

After reducing the piston OD I can run the Webster with the throttle full open for about 12-13 min. (empty gastank) with no signs of overheating ;D.
Are you going for cast iron or witon o-ring for pistonring? I used witon ring, so far with no problem ::)
Later on I will make a new cyl. with water casing.( just for fun)
Do you have any pictures of your Webster-project?

Regard
CS

Back