Starting from scratch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlauderbaugh

Reaction score
Hello, there, to evryone. I'm another new guy to this group, in more ways than one. The last time I had any expirience with metal machining was in high school.(20+ years ago) I am an electrician by trade but like to tinker with just about evrything. I just got a smithy 3-1 to help with my creativity... now I just have to learn how to use it....

I'm sure that most of your projects are a bit out of my reach for now, but I've always been one to jump into the deep end. and here I am. While on a service call a few months ago, the customer had a magazine that caught my eye. It was a quarterly that covered model steam engines. Each volume had a set of plans, specs, and other info on materials and equipment. I've been looking on-line for anything that would help get me started with a simple project. It looks as though i've found a place with answers. and WOW do I have Questions. so thank you in advance for all the help.

Welcome to HMEM mlauderbaugh.

Rick

Welcome mlauderbaugh,
This is a great place and great people too. Lots to learn here. I had machine shop in HS 40 yrs ago! And there is nothing like the deep end to motivate ;D
Tony

I am glad you found us mlauderbaugh.

There are a lot of beginners here that have the same level of experience you do, and a lot that were the same a few months ago. Even the most experienced started that way at some time and are willing to help others along the way.

We try to be a friendly and helpful bunch around here so never be hesitant about asking questions.

Most importantly is to pick a simple project and start on it. Nothing like a little success to build confidence.

Gail in NM,USA

Welcome mlauderbaugh. This web site launched me into this great hobby. I didn't know that people built small engines until I happened upon this site after searching the web for home machining sites. It's a great place with great people.

Welcome to the forum, mlauderbaugh. Look forward to sharing projects and ideas.

Chuck

mlauderbaugh,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

mlauderbaugh,
Welcome.
Do Not let the fine craftsmanship here intimidate you. We all started as a newbie. There are many folks here with lots of experience . There are also many just buying machines and setting up shops.
There are multiple options here for stater projects. You make make two or three practice parts before making a usable one . But that is OK.
Questions encouraged.
No project here is behond your grasp
Practice
Patience
Perserverance
and likely
Perspiration
Good luck on the journey
Tin

mlauderbaugh,

Welcome and ask away!....Everyone here has been where you are.....so if you need to know ask... :) :)

Dave

Welcome to the forum and best wishes as you begin your journey.

Bill

Tin Falcon said:
mlauderbaugh,
Welcome.
Do Not let the fine craftsmanship here intimidate you. We all started as a newbie. There are many folks here with lots of experience . There are also many just buying machines and setting up shops.
There are multiple options here for stater projects. You make make two or three practice parts before making a usable one . But that is OK.
Questions encouraged.
No project here is behond your grasp
Practice
Patience
Perserverance
and likely
Perspiration
Good luck on the journey
Tin

And let us not forget .... TEARS :shrug: :fan: th_wtf1 ;D ;D ;D

Welcome ML.

BC1
Jim

mlauderbaugh

wEc1

This is the place for all of your questions and sharing ideas. I too come from another trade and my machining comes from junour high school back in the 60's. I'm green with envy with some of the talent here but, we all start somewhere...doing and trying is how we improve. Time spent learning is well spent time.

Regards

Philly

Back