Starting a new engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bogstandard said:
Great Mike,
Starting to make myself at home, just need to get the bed in.
Are there any limitations on pic size and quantity, just in case I have to resize before posting. I have been setting my pics to 8" by 6", don't understand them pixelly doodahs yet, will that still be ok.

John

The pictures should auto resize to an 800 x 800 max. I dont thing you should have any problems at all about size. we can adjust that max size in the admin CP

I try to make my images 640 x 480 pixels, thats a standard web page size.

When I got this engine running and took a vid of it, then said that I was going to run it every second stroke rather than every fourth, something that Rick said (and now lost in the transfer over to the new site) stuck in the back of my mind, and that was how I should leave it as is.
So, thinking cap on, meddling fingers to work and have come up with a possible solution.
If I could change the gears over in a couple of minutes and do a quick retime on the little crankshaft gear, it should be possible with a little bit of remachining to existing bits to get it to run on 4th, 2nd and every stroke.
So I have made a set of very accurately machined gears where all the cam pin holes are on the same PCD.
So here is where I am up to.

Gears.JPG

Oh! No, not another pic of an unfinished engine.

Newbits.jpg

But this does prove that sometimes I do a bit of work in the shop, rather than annoying everyone by moderating posts.
As you can see, I have silver soldered the hardened pins into the gears that I made, the 'nose' on the cam follower will get a bit of case hardening just to stop it wearing away.
The way it works is as shown on this vid.

Oh! No, not another vid of an unfinished engine

[youtube=425,350]EFfm9L90Tyw[/youtube]

For those who can't see the vid, here is the link.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFfm9L90Tyw[/ame]

This engine is now going to be sent away to the Bling Fairies and hopefully will be back in time for Christmas.

John

John,
Hopefully when this one is finished, I will be making a basic version and written up like my little book, so you just might get one after all, but you will have to make it yourself.

John

The engine looks great, John. I love the modular approach where bits can be changed to alter the number of strokes, etc. It should be great for beginners, as well, since it let's them built it one section at a time. With the valve, head, and cams all separate from each other, it keeps things a lot simpler. Also gives it a more sophisticated look, in my opinion.

I think you've come up with a revolutionary approach to engine building. You can change the cam arrangement, or the valve type, or the head without affecting the rest of the engine.

Chuck

Glad you like it Chuck.
As you can see I have tried to keep it simple, but get a fairly complicated engine.
Looking at it now, without bling, another one could be done in about 14 days, taking it easy.

John

You could add a second valve on the other side and make it double acting? Nice engine. How is the throttle response?

Wes

Wouldn't be able to make it double acting because of the piston/conrod/crank layout.
The throttle response is very good on the 2 and 4 pin cams, but not as good on the single, but hopefully that will all be sorted when the bling fairies are done playing with it.

John

Back