Squaring up a Perfecto Shaper Vice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20200525_160145_640.jpg
Hello all. I have a 5" Perfecto shaper that someone got a lot of use out of, the screw is a bit worn in the middle and won't auto feed. Minor issue, I just work with it. My real problem is that I can't figure out a smart way to square the vice on the table. Only the jaws are machined, every other surface is rough casting. The vice fills up all but 5/8" on either side, I finally made some bars to put parallel to the vice to use as clamp stands. So anyone have any ideas? Since I got the shaper, I've obtained a Clausing 8511, factory Bridgeport M head, mill. I've considered milling the sides of the vice, but hate the idea of modifying a rare orginial item even if it would be an improvement. Anyway, TIA. Ron

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but why don't you just used the machined face of the fixed jaw to square the vise? That's the only important piece that needs to be square (or set at a precise angle, etc).

No, trouble has been the fitting a square in the gap between the vice and face then down to the jaw. Almost a gap free "Z" between the surfaces.
Ah - I wasn't aware you were trying to use a square. I always clock my vise with a DTI and just assumed everyone did. Sorry.

Back