Sprut cam help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant find this snipping tool, im running windows hate......oops I mean eight lol

I had to search for it in 8 ( Yes I hate 8 too ! ) Once you find it , Right click, open file location, send to , desktop as shortcut.

With a few well placed tabs, you can do the whole profile, snip or bandsaw it out and just file a couple of little spots to clean it up. :)

Scott

Scott, would you mind taking a look at this one. I modeled up a flywheel and have started on the tool paths. I still need to ream the hole instead of just drilling, and I haven't done anything with the speeds/feeds but I would like you to just take a look at the tool paths and see what you think. It looks pretty good to me so far.....

View attachment flywheel stc.doc

playing with screenshots too :)

Screenshot 2015-07-12 23.20.55.jpg

I took a quick look. :) looks good.

A couple of things. Your 1/8" endmill has 2 different tool numbers 2 & 3 , if you make it the same it won't go to tool change between ops.

Those deep pockets may be a bit much for an 1/8" endmill, a lot of chip re-cutting. You may want to consider drilling some 5/16" through holes between the spokes for chip evacuation, and then there will be less milling for the endmill. Drills remove metal a lot more efficiently. Just a thought.

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on Sprut. Good job. ( That ain't easy :) )

Scott

You may want to consider drilling some 5/16" through holes between the spokes for chip evacuation, and then there will be less milling for the endmill. Drills remove metal a lot more efficiently. Just a thought.
Good Idea!!

It looks like you have a pretty good handle on Sprut. Good job. ( That ain't easy )
HaHa no! Ive been wrestling with it, had some problems with it doing some strange things that I just didnt understand so I changed to a different machining op to get t to work like I thought it should.

A couple of things. Your 1/8" endmill has 2 different tool numbers 2 & 3 , if you make it the same it won't go to tool change between ops.
Yes, I havent gone that far into it yet funny though, I thought I selected the same tool from the list. I have to check that out. I swear mach 3 was still stopping on the tool changes with the same number though??
I also need to flip the part to mill the backside...off to youtube for a study guide LOL

You can draw some circles in the 2D geometry tab to use for drill ops, without having to go back and change anything on the model. Or maybe just rough it with the 1/4" EM first.

I have been "wrestling" with it for about 6-7 years. I still find myself lying to it so it will do what I want. :)

Scott

David

Have you run the job. I DLed your project and ran it through my SprutCAM9. I changed machines to my Tormach 770 and posted it to Tormach Path Pilot.

I noted that you have some Feed and speed issues. At one point you were running a 1/8 end mill at 200 RPM. Been there done that and it tends to break end mills.:eek:

Were you going to do a round blank and just cut the recess and spokes. You could then drill and ream the shaft hole and use that with a fixture to hold the part for machining of the spokes.

Dave

David

Have you run the job. I DLed your project and ran it through my SprutCAM9. I changed machines to my Tormach 770 and posted it to Tormach Path Pilot.

I noted that you have some Feed and speed issues. At one point you were running a 1/8 end mill at 200 RPM. Been there done that and it tends to break end mills.:eek:

Were you going to do a round blank and just cut the recess and spokes. You could then drill and ream the shaft hole and use that with a fixture to hold the part for machining of the spokes.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Havent touched the speeds and feeds just yet, was just playing with the tool paths then will be setting everything else up. Have not run the flywheel yet. Im thinking it might be best if I used a piece of 2" round stock and just mill the recesses and spokes, but could easily profile the outside if using bar stock as well using the same code. Its a work in progress :)

so Ive been working on it some more. I feel like I was running head on into a brick wall when it came to flipping the part :wall: but I think I got it :D
I did not add the reaming cycle, My mill does not have enough Z to accomodate the chucking reamer :(
I still need to run this thru mach and see what happens, but here is the stc file.

View attachment flywheel stc.doc

Ok so I ran the part today and all went very well until I got to the part in the code where you flip the part, then it seemed to loose its x-y-z zero points and shifted them about 8" over???? Not sure why that happened..
but I re zeroed the x and y and finished it up. Theres a couple other things I noticed that could be improved upon for cutting the run time, but its not that big of a deal to me as I am only making a couple.
I went ahead and added the reaming cycle (and it did fit the z height barely)

ok, here is the cam file for the flywheel, it may not like the first line because its not in ( ) so you may have to edit that or delete it. I started with a piece of 2" round that was faced on both sides to a thickness of .5" +/- .002"
set up in the vice and clamped using V blocks. (The drilling and reaming will extend .3" past the part max)
change the .doc extension to .tap Let me know how it works out or if there is any questions.....

X and Y 0 is in the center of the stock and Z is at the top of the stock....

View attachment flywheel tap.doc

OK, I have a downright embarrassing question.
How do I change the file extension? The file name shows up, but not the extension and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the file extensions show up (in Windows 7) to let me change it.

Thanks,

John

you cant just right click and rename?? im running windows 8 now, would have to drag ou t old comp to figure it out .....

David

When you set your G54 0,0,0 did you then do the same for G55 so that both had the same work offsets.
I ran the code in Gwizard Editor and it ran fine there.

Dave

In Windows 8 file explorer I just right clicked on file and did a rename. Just backspaced the doc ext out and moved the dot between file name and tap. opened just fine in Gwizard Editor.

Dave

In Windows 8 file explorer I just right clicked on file and did a rename. Just backspaced the doc ext out and moved the dot between file name and tap. opened just fine in Gwizard Editor.

Dave

The file extensions don't show up and I can't find the switch to make them show up. So when I highlight the file there is no .doc extension to backspace out.
aonemarine emailed me the file (thank you for that) but I sure would like to figure this out.
Sorry for high-jacking the thread!

John

David

When you set your G54 0,0,0 did you then do the same for G55 so that both had the same work offsets.
I ran the code in Gwizard Editor and it ran fine there.

Dave

:hDe:

Have no Idea how to do that....Is it something i do in mach 3 or in sprut cam?
something tells me its in mach, so ill go poke around in there a bit....

Latest posts

Back