Spring Steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
I'd like to make this clip that holds the field stand in it's stowed position on a WW2 BSA motorcycle. The length is a little under 6 inches. I've never machined spring steel - any advice out there, please?

stand5.jpg

From what i remember from 50 yrs ago it does not like bending past
90o and drills like stainless steel,but its not expensive and theres nothing like trial and error
best of luck

Just looking at it should be no problem.Drill and fit a couple of dowels in a plate to make a forming jigStart at the middle and work out with an overlong piece of matlWhen finished cut to length and drill Regards barry

I am assuming that you are using spring steel in its soft state, then heat treating it. You won't be able to work hard spring steel strip into that shape.

Paul.

Paul, Depends on just how hard the temper is. If I was doing it, I'd have used a wide vice like a woodworker's. I'd have three vertical round rods and form the successive bends by tightening- as Barry says from the middle. It would have to be reversed as each male and female bend is created. The holes can be punched with a Bob and Aunty. Thomas describes one such - but doesn't use my father's description( which is apt.

The alternative is the way that Spitfire elliptical wings were formed- by hammering by hand. You need a cross pein hammer and a really solid former underneath. Instead of trying to shrink one side, you hammer on the wrong side and expand the curve by making the metal longer.

Easier to do than describe. I gave my shrinking and stretching gear away years ago but that is way to do it without slip rolls.

Good luck

Norman

The alternative is the way that Spitfire elliptical wings were formed- by hammering by hand. You need a cross pein hammer and a really solid former underneath. Instead of trying to shrink one side, you hammer on the wrong side and expand the curve by making the metal longer.

Good luck

Norman

Hi Norman, that is the method we used to straighten out hardened guide rails for press tools, they were only thin so always bent. We had a special peining hammer that had a ball bearing fixed into it, very hard and gave a nice small contact area. We just peined the inner side of the curve until the rail was within a couple of thou, it was then ground and all peining marks disappeared.

Paul.

As above Clockworks springs would be the material to use. These are springs used in things like music boxes, not so much clocks. Likely online to start. with. Recently I needed to grind one down in width material was about 2.5" wide and .125 thick That was a stiff spring, wound into a coil about 3" diameter. I would think you just bend it hot, then drill, then harden and temper.

I used to bend and drill spring steel in its hard form.Radis bend less than 90o can be done and it can be drilled,hence my original reply post
If you fit dowel pins in a plate and pull around to your dims it should work,if not heat and form then temper back but i have not experience of this Regards barry

Latest posts

Back