Splinters

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by CFLBob, Sep 3, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Sep 9, 2019 #41

GrahamJTaylor49

GrahamJTaylor49

GrahamJTaylor49

Pin the corners back with a staple gun ?
    Just joking.
    I use the scalpel myself and then splash Hydrogen Peroxide on the cut, 3-5%. Works.

2. Sep 10, 2019 #42

57mm_M18

57mm_M18

57mm_M18

Instead of using a scalpel I went to the local feed and grain store and purchase some 16gauge non core cutting hypodermic needles used to inject medications. These needles have both a very sharp point and edge on them. They worked extremely well for removing slivers. Because of their design you could both probe and cut you way to the object you want to remove. Once cleaned after use you could put them back into their original tube for future use.

3. Sep 10, 2019 #43

Peter Murphy

Peter Murphy

Peter Murphy

I use an Australian product call Magnoplasm Paste. It is a drawing paste containing glycerol and dried magnesium sulfate.
    For really bad splinters you put some of the paste on the area & a sticky bandage over it for 24 hours or so. The splinter will come to the surface. I am about to use it on a couple of pesky splinters I got after making a new back plate for an old "Made in England" 5" self centering 3 jaw chuck I just picked up. I am in Australia so Magnoplasm Paste is easy to get here.

rustyovali likes this.
  4. Sep 10, 2019 #44

werowance

werowance

werowance

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

i was given a box of maybe 100 or so I believe they are called lancets? they are for pricking your finger to test for insulin for diabetics. they are about the size of a thumbtack and have a sterile safety cover over the stick part. they are great for digging out the little pieces without doing much damage to the surrounding hide.

upload_2019-9-10_10-45-14.png

upload_2019-9-10_10-45-45.png

tech610 likes this.