Spindle Control

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete92

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently on with my CNC milling machine build. I am currently converting the mechanicals of the machine so they are up to scratch.

I am not really an electrical minded person, but I can get by. But one question has been plaguing me, so hopefully someone here can help.

Is it possible for the motor to be controlled by the computer (which will be running mach 3 software) to run the spindle (On/Off + spindle speed). Im more than positive this is possible. But how do I go about doing it.

I will also be installing a coolant system. How would I go about making this automatic.

Cheers,

Pete

yes it can be done

IF you did download the complete manual
and go step by step in the set up using
proper G & M code it run smoothly

As Luc mentioned the Mach3 manual has quite a bit of info for doing this.

The quickest and easiest way of doing this is with a variable frequency drive and a C6 board from Cnc 4 pc, although this all depends on which type of machine you are using. The coolant control is easy, just a matter of adding a relay board to switch power to the coolant pump.

(this must be selected to suit the correct rating for your motor, example only)
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=488
Here is the C6 board, view the manual for instructions.
http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=58

Do be aware though if you are running a 110v or 240v coolant pump you will need the correct relay board that can handle this level of power supply.

On another note I would suggest that you have a RCD in line between the garage power supply and machine. This is a safeguard, should something go wrong such as a dead short like water in the electronics or similar, this will help protect your life.

Please advise which type of machine you are building as there may be some electronics already there that you can work with for the spindle control. There are several of us here that have done this in different ways and should be able to help you further.

Cheers,
Baz.

Last edited:
Hello Pete,

I did have the same concern when I started to build my CNC.
After many searches and thought I chose to use a VFD (variable frequency driver, cheep on ebay). But then , I have many concerns on how to connect and control the VFD.

I fillaly suceeded. I run my CNC under EMC2 (Linux CNC) that is very similar to mach3 except for the setup more easy in mach3 I guess.

I created a video tutorial some time ago, on how to control a spindle with all the details. Maybe it can help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OklkxXGGLmk

Laurent ;)

Cheers for all the help guys. The machine is an SPG9525 mill.

I am very early on with this build. Its quite funny to make the CNC mill, I need the milling machine itself. But I am the engineering manager where I work so I have a few machines at my disposal. Unfortunately the end of the month is upon us so everything is happening at once! Hopefully get some bits made next week. I am getting the table ball screws sorted out at the moment.

This is just an issue ive been thinking of from the start. So im just trying to get as much info as possible before I get to that point.

Latest posts

Back