Spark source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two of the sourcing map units last week. Below is extracted from some communication I have had with Jan Ridders in Netherlands.
I determined that the circuits were very similar but the layout is different. The oscillator area was identical (except , of course, the transformer is just a lump so who knows?). In the trigger area the only difference I found was that he XMCR 1006 thyristor used on the Blokker unit was replaced with a PCR 606J sensitive gate SCR and the 2K resistor was replaced with a 1.8K resistor . After a bit of research, I decided the devices are very similar in function and that the resistor difference was unlikely to make a major difference. Oh, the 474nF capacitor was 150V rated up from 100V on the Blokker. So, this morning I went off to get some components and this evening I modified the board just as you recommend for the Blokker unit and, much to my surprise, it worked. Not sure how long it will work in actual use, but the initial results are promising.

Any info of the coils used on that circuit? According to Jan Ridders, primary coil's resistance is 0,5 ohms, and secondary has 450 ohms.

Those coils seem to be rather small, making them easier to build, without any specific winding tools.

One factor, that I miss, is the thickness of wire on both primary and secondary coil.

If one knows the wire thickness, and resistance of coil(s), could it be possible to calculate amount(length) of wire?

One possible alternative for 'Blokker' circuit, might be one, that is used on an Electric flyswatter:

320px-Flyswatter6.jpg

Don't know much about electronics, but I assume, that there is some similar factors on both circuits.

Their functions seem to be almost the same; by pressing the button(switch), both produce a high voltage spike.

Well, I ordered two of those 'flyswatters', just to take them apart, and test, if they can produce reliable spark, continuously.
In my case, it means using a rotating cam (could it get any simpler?).

They haven't arrived yet, but in the meantime, I've done some research on the subject, and found out, that there is a large variation of quality of parts, between various brands.

For what it's worth, I just saw these flyswatters in a Harbor Freight flyer for - I think - $2.99 apiece.

What a coincidence - the ones I ordered, have just the same price, per piece, 2,99 €.

I have one of the Harbor Freight swatters (the old yellow one). It does not generate a spark per-se, but instead charges the X and Y of the wire grid to a relatively high voltage (which may be lower than the other circuits as you don't want a spark without a bug completing the circuit). The one I have is quite slow to charge but newer ones might be better.

Shred, I guess that the main difference between 'Blokker' and flyswatter circuit is, that latter discharges its voltage, not through
the air, but through the insect(s), needing only some hundreds of volts to work.

Also, according to pics, that I've seen of the swatter circuit, it lacks the 'second stage', which is present in Blokker circuit, that multiplies its output to several kilovolts.

So, I assume, that the flyswatter circuit isn't usable on its own, to produce sparks, but then again, it has at least a small coil, that I'm interested to examine. Time will tell, when I get the ones, that I ordered.

Just looking an easier way to replicate that Blokker circuit. Hardest parts to make are -- you guessed it -- the coils.
--------------------------------------------
I took a look to my junk box, and found two miniature relays(12 volts), measured the resistance of both ones coils. They are of a different brand, one had ~400 ohms, while the other had ~700 ohms. Not sure though(yet), are they usable in this case.

Admiral_dk, the one you pointed out, seems to be more of a heavy duty sparker, since it requires hefty 3 amps.

But, anyways, it would be interesting to see, what's inside that unit.

Just to save someone some pain, if using the flyswatter for it's intended purpose swatting flies, if you swat a wasp the wasp will turn red hot and keep on living, and flying slowly, 2nd and 3rd dose of electricity was required. Seemed to take some memory jogging to remind it, it was dead..

Mcostelo, I assume, that this thread isn't about killing, or torturing any living thing.

Just to possibly adapt existing technology to produce spark for our engines.

I'm aware, that there are some serious mods made for a standard flyswatter, that makes any size of an insect to explode.

But, let's leave it here. Original subject feels much better(at least for me).

Maybe you could make friends with your local COP and borrow his Taser. I understand that they are a pretty powerfull source of electricity-----Kinda like an electronic flyswatter for people!!! *bang* *bang*

Flyswatters, that I ordered, have arrived. After short period of testing, I'm convinced, as Shred mentioned earlier,
that these circuits are not suitable to produce spark, except when fed through an additional coil or transformer.

Even then, charging time is way too long, as I can tell by listening the swatter, after pushing the button.

It makes rather high-pitched, ascending sound(that only us bats can hear ;D), when charging.
Bit like the flash unit of the camera in the past.

Also, the coil in the circuit is a lot smaller, than I expected.

What comes to magneto, there just might be a compact alternative at:
http://www.epemag3.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=63&Itemid=38

'Wind-up Torch", that is powered by manually cranking the stepper motor, to make some lighting.

How about a stepper motor turned by an engine?

There was an article, in that very same magazine(EPE), about using a stepper motor as a dynamo on the bicycle.
Author mentioned something like: 'stepper motor makes a lot more power, even at slow speed, when compared to an ordinary dynamo'.

Just my two cents.

Back