Spark plug boots

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got an idea for making some spark plug boots, starting with a brass cap and the lead soldiered to the cap. Then heatshrink over the lead/cap and insulator.

I was just wondering if there's anything I need to know regarding the leads. Specific grade of wire, insulation thickness, etc?

Also wondering how everyone else makes their spark plug leads?

Cheers

Andy

For the wire leads, many people, including me, use test lead wire such as is used on electronic test meters. It comes in a lot os sizes and diameters from verr thin to quite thick. For my small engines I normally use #28 which is the thinnest available with out problems. Spark ignition voltages exceed it's rated insulation voltage but I have had no problems. It has a very soft insulation so it flexes easily. It also has a large number of very fine wires in the core so it does not break with vibration.

About 5 yers ago I wrote a tutorial on molding boots by transfer molding. You might like to look at it.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=14539&highlight=molding+sparkplug+boot

Gail in NM

This is perfect! Thanks for posting Gail.

I have used the spark ignition wire from an electric stove and it worked ok but may be a little thick for the scale of some smaller engines .

Andy

Lately I have been using this silicone HV wire from S/S Machine here is link, the wire is on the right side and close to the top. I use the 10KV and have used the 5KV for one application. He has lots of stuff for ignition component's including some really nice small spark plug clips.

http://www.cncengines.com/orderpage.html

No affiliation just a happy customer, I use his CDI ignitions on several of my engines.

Bob

Latest posts

Back