South Bend 8K photos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a few close ups I think in better focus of the end Mills.

That looks like a nice selection of end mills and also boring bars from the other posts.

What is the diameter of the face mill you have sitting there? Looks like around 2".

That looks like a nice selection of end mills and also boring bars from the other posts.

What is the diameter of the face mill you have sitting there? Looks like around 2".

The face mill with the carbide inserts is 1-3/8". The largest end mill is 7/8". I'm doing an inventory today probably since I'm home from work an I'll give you all the sizes.

I have an Aloris A3 tool holder that will go 1/2" and smaller. I will end up putting this stuff on the classifieds but want to give you guys who visit the thread first pick.
For now I decided to keep the Boring bar holder, If I get a lantern style just for that it'll be rigid as hell.

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Here's the end mill Inv. before it goes to the classifieds.

IMG.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

And the boring bars. $5.00 apiece with a minimum of ten of any size.

IMG.jpg

Well the bearings came today and the spindle yesterday, how's that for timing! I haven't opened them up yet but maybe after dinner. I was working on a couple micrometers, A Tesa and a Brown & Sharpe. Their both hanging in the shop with a new coat of paint.

IMG_1796.jpg

Here's the measurements on the new and old spindle. I like these better.

IMG_0002.jpg

Is that $5 for boring bars and end mills?

Except for the Carbide face mill. I haven't come up with a price yet. None of these tools are made in china so it's hard finding comparative pricing. I've been thinking on the end mills, I would like some boring bars taken along with end mills. They're good quality boring bars and I need to move them. This is not written in stone but more like I'm asking. If you don't need boring bars I understand. I know you asked about the face mill before so I'll try and figure out that today.
We should probably take this to private messaging.

Just to clarify the boring bar sizes: 0000A is the smallest cutter head and 3 is the largest except the 7 & 9 screw on tips.
Then they jump to longer shanks but same cutters then extra long etc.

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

Hi Guys,
Are those boring bars or Internal Threading Bars ?
Hilmar

Hi Guys,
Are those boring bars or Internal Threading Bars ?
Hilmar

They're boring bars, or to be more specific the A's & B's are boring bars and the C's are internal threading. The C's are all sold. A new inventory will be posted shortly.
I called George (ex GE machinist) and asked him why he had so many. Turns out they are a friends collection he used at GE to mostly take on special internal threading projects in Iconel if I spelled that right. He said some of the projects had three separate threads in the same hole, stepped down hole I expect? He said if one in 15 parts turned out bad he got upset. I love digging stories out of George! Reminds me of my dad's 40 years of stories at GE you had to drag out of him.

I'm surprised no one on HMEM is interested in these, but of course they may not be what you need for small engine machine work? I'll try to find out in the future just what tools are sought after for HMEM.

Finally getting around to clean the new spindle, if I wash it well my daughter will never know I used her plastic container!;)

IMG_1838.jpg

Here's the alcohol after.:eek: This was the second cleaning! I'll clean it one more time before assembly.

IMG_1839.jpg

Here's the runout measurements from the new spindle. First the swarf guard shoulder 0 run out, camlock taper .00025" run out, morse taper 0 run out.

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

Latest posts

Back