Sources of bronze?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaleb

Reaction score
I've heard that bronze is recommended over brass for boiler bushings, so I was just wondering, where can you find some cheap bronze, or what contains a good usable chunk of the stuff?

Also, I have found a possible source of aluminium bronze. What is it like as far as machining and silver soldering go? Is it any good? I've heard it's quite tough.

Kaleb,

You are quite right about the boiler bushings. Brass is really a no-no unless you can get non leeching brass, so it is safer and easier to just go with phos bronze.

I would steer clear of ali bronze if you don't know how to machine and silver solder it. It can be done, but again, stick with phos bronze, it will make making the boiler a lot easier.

It is reasonably cheap to purchase from a metal factor in the sorts of quantities you are looking for, as if you just pick up a piece of bronze, it could be almost any mix from dozens, if not hundreds of different alloys, and you might just find you can't machine it.

If you were from the UK, I would recommend PB1 or Colphos, which is a free machining version, and is now about the same price as normal PB1 bronze.

Bogs

In the US, Enco sells 13" sticks of bronze as does my local bearing supply place (Purvis). Enco is cheaper, but it takes longer and sometimes costs for shipping. Works well for boiler fittings.

Enco is the first that comes to mind for me also but I think Kaleb need a source in Australia.
I suppose it could be cost effective to order from enco but do not think the free shipping code will work for an address in OZ.
Tin

ive ordered bronze bushings from mcmaster-carr. also i found the site onlinemetals.com which has bronze, never ordered anything from them.

A local shop called Bearfast apparently stocks some sort of phosphor bronze, so I might ask them about it. I would rather use something I could scrounge, so I might see if the aluminium bronze is any good if it can be had free or cheap. I think I might have to get some new tips for my carbide tools if reports are right on it's hardness.

Kaleb,

It's not the machining you need to worry about, very sharp HSS tooling and speed take care of that.

Where you definitely will have trouble is silver soldering it. It just doesn't like it. Adding a touch of salt to the flux mix works, after a fashion. Aluminium just doesn't like to be soldered, and that is the main problem.

I use ali bronze for when it is mechanically joined to other bits, not when it needs joining by silver soldering.

I would try to silver solder a couple of small bits together first, before proceeding any further with it's use as boiler fittings. That just might show you what I mean.

Bogs

Apparently Bearfast stocks LG2 bronze. Is this any good? A local machine shop also recommended LG2 over PB1 phosphor bronze when I told them I was making solder-in bushings.

Enco was the only place I could find Bearing Bronze at 3.5 diameter solid Round.

"Bill Gruby"

In a past life, I dealt a lot with aluminum bronze and it is absolutely miserable to machine. Soldering issues aside, I think you'll be a lot happier with something else if you can find it. I, personally, wouldn't use aluminum bronze if someone gave me some. JMHO

Back