Source for small fasteners in U.S.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf2qd

Reaction score
I recently found this site having small fasteners - Hardware - Machine Screws - Page 1 - orchidsound electronics - for example - 100 2-56x3/4 Phillips head screws $3.65.

They have a nice collection of small inch and metric screws and nuts, all at very low prices.

I have looke other places and the pricesd for 1 bag of 100 was what I paid to 8 bags of variouss screws.

I have gone the "cheap route" back when I first got into the model building hobby. I found the fasteners were poorly made of soft metal. Loose threads and stripped heads got old real fast so now I only buy "better grade" fasteners. Sure I pay 8 bucks a hundred instead of 4 but to me it's worth it to not have to drill a stripped fastener out of a part I just spent 10 hours or more making. Maybe get a few and try them out before stocking right up only to find yourself tossing them in the trash.

Me too I learnt the hard way don’t bye china crap cheep as but so bad quality thay all went in the bin ok so I will pay 70 bucks for 100 tiny grub screws (wife don’t no it ) but thay are quality! And with the work we put in to our hobby that’s what I look for

I pretty much just use McMaster, everything they have is the real thing from well known manufacturers at reasonable prices so you always know what you will be getting. They also have quick shipping.

Passing the experience... for small screw like 2mm or #2 and smaller try to use alloy steel instead of Stainless. The Hex socket of Stainless is quite soft and easily rounds off if you need some beefy torque like for set screw for example. If the Allen Key rounds off you can grind a pristine end, but keep it from heating up.

Hi Guys,

There is a thread running on here about salvaging hard disc drive parts.

One of the thing that I always collect is the screws that are used on them. The vast majority of them are made from stainless steel and have "Torx" socket heads they range in size from 2.5 or 2.0 mm and down to 0.5 mm, though anything smaller is almost impossible to use unless you are a clock and watch person.

I pretty much just use McMaster, everything they have is the real thing from well known manufacturers at reasonable prices so you always know what you will be getting. They also have quick shipping.
I use McMaster Carr also but one thing do nt like is not knowing what the shipping and handling cost is going to be and it usually is high. I also use Micro fastener and another that I go to is Fastener Express

I use McMaster Carr also but one thing do nt like is not knowing what the shipping and handling cost is going to be and it usually is high. I also use Micro fastener and another that I go to is Fastener Express
i have sent several emails to them complaining about that, they claim to be adding that very soon. But they have been saying that for a year now.

One of the thing that I always collect is the screws
I do the same, mostly fro religious reasons. It is against my own religion to trash anything that can be reused in the next 100 years.
However the screw in hard drives are usually not suitable for models, they are often too short and have a head shape that does not look right on a model.

I do not know if they carry Micro but small 2- 80 and m2-3.5 but I got a lot of stainless and brass small bolts and nuts for my model engineering needs great service [ I ordered 100 of a very small bolt ,they called me and said that they only had 97 in stock which they will ship and send the other 3 later, I explained that the 97 was fine as I will only need maybe 50 in my lifetime so don't bother with the three well got my order including the 97..............8 days later the three showed up in yhe mail !] They are Albanycountyfasterners.com.......hope they have what you are looking for

I do not know if they carry Micro but small 2- 80 and m2-3.5 but I got a lot of stainless and brass small bolts and nuts for my model engineering needs great service [ I ordered 100 of a very small bolt ,they called me and said that they only had 97 in stock which they will ship and send the other 3 later, I explained that the 97 was fine as I will only need maybe 50 in my lifetime so don't bother with the three well got my order including the 97..............8 days later the three showed up in yhe mail !] They are Albanycountyfasterners.com.......hope they have what you are looking for

That link did not work.

If you really want Scale bolts American Model Engineering is the only source but the price is scary. Not overpriced because the demand is so slow but over what I am willing to pay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back