Soule Live Steam Festival

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTwin

Staff member
HMEM Supporting Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
It looks like the 2021 Soule Live Steam Festival is a go.

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.soulelivesteam.com/
LSF21_RackCard-1.jpg

I have displayed at the Soule Museum several times in the past, and it is the original factory and foundry where they made among other things the Soule "Speedy Twin".
I probably will not have time to display this year due to workload (never say never though).
I am going to try to attend Saturday even if I don't display.

I have a 3D model of a Speedy Twin in the works, and it is an exact copy of a Speedy Twin.
I intend to cast a model on day (not sure at what scale).

3D-PRINT-01.jpg

rImg_3153.jpg

Here is the famous Speedy Twin, which was renowed as the fastest sawmill carriage engine around for many years.
(this is not my video)

The Speedy Twin has D-valves, and the pressure on the valve is reversed via the d-reversing valve on top of the engine.
Normally if you reverse pressure on a d-valve, it will lift off of its seat and not work.
The Speedy Twin uses the most ingenious methods I have ever seen to prevent the d-valves from lifting, and the design works like a charm, with an extremely fast reverse rate.

An extremely clever and I think unique design, and what I would consider advanced for its time.
It took me a full year to figure out how the passages and valves work.

It is the only twin cylinder steam engine I am aware of that can reverse using only two eccentrics (one eccentric per cylinder).

And Clarke Easterling has been putting on an iron casting display at Soule every year, which is very fun to watch.
Clarke built his own iron foundry from scratch.

rImg_3220.jpg

Latest posts

Back