Something to drive ??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh121

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been looking around for something to drive with my ic engines to add a little more interest and show what they were used for.
I came across the pump below and thought this would make a good looking exhibit that most people can identify with. I plan to make it in third scale, which should give quite a good size exhibit that would mate up to my Root & Vandervoort to drive. It will be built purely from bar stock and odds and ends I have lying around the workshop. I also thought it would be nice because an explanation can be given about it being able to drive three ways (windmill, hand and engine)
I have a number of projects ongoing but will try my best to give as full a build log as possible.
What does anyone think of this pump as an addition to my exhibit??

177.jpg

Very neat looking. Go for it.
gbritnell

I think a pump adds a lot to an engine.

I built one from a casting kit to use with my first I.C. engine. I filled it with water and it pumped very well. A couple days later I run it again and got very rusty water pumping through the system. It took quite a bit of effort to clean out all the rusty sediment but finally got the job done. I then filled it with baby oil. It is clear and looks like water. That was 6 years ago and it is still pumping as clear as can be today.

+1 for the oil instead of water idea. I use that for all my pumps too.

Baby oil often has annoying scents added to it. Look for straight, clear mineral oil. Most decent drugstores will have it and it has no odor.

That should make an impressive compliment to any engine, going by the size of the pully (16") your model should be about 24" tall excluding the plunger :)

Jason

pump black oil, liquid gold everyone will be impressed ;D

I like the idea of making the engine work also, keep us updated

If you made the cylinder, piston and other "wet" parts out of brass, aluminium, bronze or copper, corrosion wouldn't be a problem, so you could just use plain water.

great project, I can't wait to see how you tackle it

Randy

Best looking pump I've seen. Can't wait to see it built!

Right then lets get down to it. I have decided to give this my best shot, please bear in mind this is the first model I have done without drawings, so anything could happen, and you will get all the gory details. Please shout up if you see something I could be doing another way, I am not easily offended, and it helps others to understand there are other ways to achieve the same goal.

Firstly many thanks to those who suggested using baby oil, another little gem picked up from this great forum.

Jason, the original says it requires a hieght of 84" !!!!! Yes I did get a fright when I scaled it to half size, thats when I noticed the full size hieght. I think mine will end up about 26" over the guide bracket, maybe a bit less.

The first problem I had was with the odd shapes on the top and the base. After much deliberation I went and borrowed the use of a lathe with a copying attachment on it, this seemed the easiest way to get the shapes required. A piece of 1/8" plate was cut and filed to the required shape and then mounted to the copying attachment which duly cut the nice shapes for me.
This first pic is the parts for the base with a piece of tube that will be used for the barrel.

IMG_0655.jpg

These are the parts cut on the copying lathe

IMG_0654.jpg

The next part was the disc for the base. This was roughly cut from 6mm plate and the turned to size once all the marking out had been done for the bolt holes etc. It was then bored to take the base.
IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Holes drilled.
IMG_0661.jpg

Trial fitting to base, looks ok to me!!

IMG_0662.jpg

Next up was the barrel, this was made from a piece of tube. It was bored out, I had to use the steady for this as it was too big to fit up the lathe spindle. Once bored the bottom end was turned to give a spigot to fit into the base section. A plug was made and the outside dia turned to size. I plan on fitting a brass liner to this part but will have to wait till I get all the shafts etc mounted before fitting.

IMG_0668.jpg

Finished end.
IMG_0669.jpg

Turning the outside dia.
IMG_0670.jpg

Well thats as far as I got today on the main part but when it is put together it looks pretty good and as near to the picture as I could achieve. What do you think of the result??

IMG_0672.jpg

Next I turned my attention to the flywheels, there is a fast and loose pulley to make. I decided to do a built up flywheel as I would like all of this to be made from bar stock, just to prove you can make something look like the real thing with a little thought and effort.

The rims were made from some lengths of pipe that were as near as the size I could find, they were skimmed and faced to length, I have left a small allowance on them so that I can finish to size on a mandrel once they are silver soldered up. The hubs were turned up and drilled with my indexing head, god I love using this little piece of machinery. So they are now all machined up ready for assembly.

Pipe for hubs, skimmed.
IMG_0657.jpg

Roller I use for truing up in the lathe.
IMG_0663.jpg

Hubs being drilled in indexer.
IMG_0664.jpg

Almost there!!
IMG_0666.jpg

Finished hubs.
IMG_0667.jpg

Rims being drilled in deviding head.
IMG_0671.jpg

Parts complete ready for assembly.
IMG_0673.jpg

Thats all for today, could be a couple of days before another update but will try and remember to take the pics as I go along.
Cheers for now,
MartinH

Well I had a chance to get some more parts done today. For the valves I am going to use some nylon balls and seats that I salvaged from an old air pump, these should be more than big enough for the job, and look ok when mounted in the cage that I have made. There is no reason that a plate valve could not be used and If I ever get round to doing some drawings this is what I will show( don`t hold your breath for drawings, they may take some time to get through by hand, I am absolutely useless and clueless when it comes to CAD ::) )
The gear ratio on the original was stated at 5:1, but the gears that I have to hand give me nearer 4:1 ratio. I do not think this will be a problem as I can adjust with the engine pulley size if need be.
I was going to silver solder all the parts together but I am now thinking of welding the shaft bosses and brackets to the tube and cleaning up to leave a nice fillet to lokk more like a casting. Then the other parts of the main base can be joined with JB weld or loctite.

Anyway heres a few pics of the latest parts.

Gears, Mod 2.5

IMG_0674.jpg

Tubes for bosses, turned to length, bored and stepped for bushes.

IMG_0675.jpg

Two views of the foot valve with the nylon ball and seat installed.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Thats all for now, keep looking back,
Cheers,
MartinH

Martin
Very nice workmanship, on those parts.

You have a lot of mechanical talent to take the one view of a picture, and build to scale as your doing without the aid of a computer.

Your project is looking like a good representation of the picture.

Keep up the good work.

I managed to sneek a bit more time on the pump today. The piston was turned up out of a piece of brass and the ball and seat installed. I had to go and buy :eek:, yes thats right buy, a piece of stainless rod for the piston rod, £4.50 for one metre of 6mm round bar, this projects getting way over budget ;)
So the end of the rod was threaded and fit to the piston.
Next I turned my attention to the top support bracket. This is a part that I have been putting off as you cannot really make it out on the picture. Anyway I set to with a piece of 3mm plate and the bandsaw, then a great deal of time with the files to make the four pieces that I needed. These were then welded together and cleaned up with the grinder and dremel. I had them clamped to a piece of 6mm plate which held them and give me a good edge to square up against while I tacked them to the top flange. Once I was happy with the positioning the rest was fully welded up before grinding to shape again. The top bush ring is still to make and fit, I have left this as I do not know how good a running fit the piston rod should be in the bush? Does anyone know if it is a sloppy fit or a good running fit ???
I made up the four bushes for the bosses for the shafts from Phosphor Bronze and fit them then finish bored them to get them inline.
A piece of bar was drilled at 65mm pitch, this is the pitch of the gears, and clamped the bosses to this while i welded the main tube to them. Once it was held together I had a trial fit of the parts to see what it was finally going to look like.

I am pretty pleased with the way it`s going and it has more than a passing resemblence of the one in the drawing, which can only be a good thing.
Anyway heres a few pictures of the jobs done today.

Piston, you can see the ball in the cage.
IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

Heres the top bracket finally welded to the top flange.

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

And heres a few of the parts loosely assembled to give an idea of how it will look.

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Well thats it for today, will see how I get on tomorrow
Cheers,
MartinH

Martin,
That is looking very nice. You sure do build fast once you decide what you want to build. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

Thanks Gail, once I get my teeth into something I`m like a terrier, don`t like to put it down till its finished with :p

Well today I seem to have been at it for hours with not much to show. The main reason for this is I had to use my dreaded rotary table, I do not know why I dislike using this piece of machinery, perhaps it is because you seem to spend hours over it with little to show at the end ??

Anyway, I managed to get the gears completed today. I decided to cut spokes in the big one to make it better on the eye. This is only the second time I have attempted this process and as such took most of the time to complete, I didn`t want to muck it up as I have no other gears !! I left one segment intact for the connection to the pump rod to mount onto. Thanks must go to Bogstandard for his excellent write up on doig this. The small gear was also finished off to size.
Next up was the top bush collar. This was once again set up inthe rotary table on an arbour and machined up. I cut a radius on the top edge to give a bit of detail. The hole was drilled at 11mm so that the bush, which is 10mm, can be aligned once it is all welded up. A lock nut underneath will hold the bush in place once positioned.
One last piece for today, the rod bracket. A simple little piece drilled and reamed then milled to shape.

Completed big gear after spokes being machined.

IMG_0687-1.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

And test mounted, looks better now

IMG_0689.jpg

Top bush mounting

IMG_0692.jpg

And in position
IMG_0693-1.jpg

Rod bracket

IMG_0694.jpg

Both parts trial fit

IMG_0695-1.jpg

Well thats a few more parts complete.

Cheers
MartinH

Amazing, AMAZING, craftmanship....

And excellent determination, to keep on the project, with great precision made parts.

Keep up the great work...

Thanks Hobby, theres a few parts that I cannot get a good measurement on from the drawing so I`m having to work round those parts as I go along, while trying to keep the overall look correct.

Cheers,
MartinH

Well I managed to get back in the workshop today after the big freeze. A long day today but alot of the smaller jobs were completed.
The crank arm for the opposite side of the big gear was machined from some suitable flat bar. The top link for the connecting arms was made, together with the bottom ends. These were then loctited and bolted in place using some 6mm stainless bar for the rods.
The top bush was welded in place and finished off.
Next job was the handle and link. The link was made from a piece of 12mm square bar and machined on the mill with ball cutters and normal end mills to give the required shape. The handle was marked out on a piece of 6mm plate, the holes were then drilled and a ball cutter used to cut a groove the length of the shaft to give an undercut shape to the edges, to make it look a little more like a casting.The waste was cut away on the bandsaw and after milling to the lines and filing a suitable shape was obtained. The handle was then formed with my trusty bending jig to the shape required.
Not much more to go now, I think I will just put a flange on the outlet with a mating flange with a pipe on it for the outlet. This way I can add a hand valve, if required, at a later date.
Heres a few pictures of the latest parts, do bear in mind that I have a lot of cleaning up to do to most of the parts.

Cheers,
MartinH

Plate marked out for handle
IMG_0697.jpg

Holes drilled and groove cut
IMG_0698.jpg

Cut to shape
IMG_0700.jpg

Formed to final shape
IMG_0701.jpg

Handle and link fit to pump
IMG_0706.jpg

Top bush completed
IMG_0702.jpg

Connecting rods ready for fitting
IMG_0704.jpg

And finally a few general views of the work so far.
IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Well thats it for now, hopefully more tomorrow

Thanks Pat, it has all gone better than I thought, and with the help you gave on 2d cad there could be some drawings appear at a later date if anyone wants them. They will need a good check through first though, I`m sure to make a few mistakes on the drawings :p

Cheers,
MartinH

Latest posts

Back