Some info for any using the series 222 plastools carbde insert 3/8" tool bits.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTsideshow

Reaction score
A number of years ago, before Sherline started offering tool bits to hold inserts. I bought a set of 3 tool bits from Plastool Plastool They use the cheapest in cost insert TNMG-222 since that style seems to be the most popular. I just bought 15 of the for under $15.00. The tool bits had a funny looking .05 Cap screw head, not really a button head and not a standard head. At the NAMES show I recently bought the QC tool post set up with two 3/8 tool bit holders. I had always been concerned about dropping/loosing the screws.

I contacted the new owners of the company, as the ME that designed and made them has gone on to the large shop in the sky!

They got back to me with some info. The screws are standard 2-56 button heads, what he did say is that they grind the heads down to a smaller dia for a better look.

I went out and bought a bunch of the screws, so Now I don't have to be concerned about the funny looking heads on the insert hold down screws.

They have other sized insert tool bits. in addition to the Sherline, Taig, Unimat,Prazi
They work well, and a economical alternative if you don't have a carbide sharpening set up.
DSCF0001-1.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

I get mine from Enco, no name, Chinese. The cost for a set of 5 holders with cutting inserts is less than the cost of the replacement inserts alone. They tell you that the holders come without inserts, but that's not so.

Having bought a Unimat lathe some years back (which I only started actually using a few weeks ago), I took to trawling eBay for Unimat accessories which is where I came across Plastools.

From the eBay listing I noticed that Plastools were located in Bellingham a town I passed through every Friday afternoon on my weekly commute home from Seattle to Vancouver. So, being a complete novice and not knowing what tools would best suit my needs I emailed Plastools to ask if I could pick up the tools directly.

On receiving a positive reply and directions to his rural home from professor Hackler the then owner/founder of the company I decided to pop in the following week.
I spent a pleasant hour or two with the professor who very kindly showed my around the workshop where he actually manufactured the tools, and spent far more time than he need have explaining about tool types, cutting angles and the rationale behind the Plastools design, most of which went completely over my head.

But that does eventually brings me to the point of this long rambling story. I distinctly remember him telling me that he only used high tensile screws that he imported specially from a company in Switzerland for holding the insert. That is not to say that the present company (now owned by his son I believe) still does however.
Clive

Latest posts

Back