Some boiler questions (and hopefully my progress)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brookesy

Reaction score
My brain hurts... Reading, reading, reading, sketching, drawing and so far I've managed to flesh out the basics of a design-as-you-go engine based (loosely) on 'Steve's Simple Engine/Boiler' using materials I have on hand (mostly left over from my attempts 25+ years ago) as much as possible. Hopefully the end result will be an oscillating engine of approx. 12 mm bore with a 50 mm diameter copper boiler.

I'll put my questions here as they come to mind.

Question #1 - Silver Solder: I have a few bits left over but they won't go far. Can any Aussies please advise a good product/silver %/source for silver solder?

Bearing in mind future projects will increase in size etc.

Thanks Folks

I have just ordered some from Wayne Roberts at $20 per stick
ME model engineering supplies Melbourne You can download
his extensive catalouge and price list for most things including castings
and fittings etc.Not cheap but good service

Thanks for that.

Looking around suggestions are generally 40% silver. Any comments would be great

Brookesy for such a small oscillator a soft soldered boiler would be quite adequate , good enough for Mamod !
Dan.

I think 45% is the std but soft solder may be adequate for sealing if the
joints are also mech. fixed. Ie rivited the soft soldered for sealing
Soft solder is poor for a mech joint until it has a large surface area
it tends to crack with time,movement or vibration

I realise this company is a bit to far away from you but the site has some very good information about and also using silver solder products
For a simple pot boiler in copper I would still silver solder it even if its just to practice or hone up some skills
Iv recently started making a small batch of Bowman Peter Pan steam boats with a nice little wobbler
Here is the link http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/for-model-engineers/
Good luck with the build
kind regards
frazer

Thanks for the replies folks. Yes indeedy, this project is all about using mostly what I already have in the shed and rubbing the rust off skills I haven't used for a very long time, so silver soldering is high on the list. I'll check out that site.

bunnings in toowoomba carry a good range of solder's thats where i get mine from .

Thanks mate. I'm in Warwick so it's not that far. Bunnings here is a bit limited
I bet it's hot in Texas today

no probs . samios plumbing in toowoomba carry a good range of copper pipe if you need any of that .

Well folks, I have another boiler related question...
The steam engine is coming along and I'm ready to silver solder the frame so it's time to build a brazing hearth. Fire bricks are about $20 (Au) each here and CalSil is very expensive - about $30+ (Au) for a piece about 250 x 120 mm. Looking at Hebel blocks they're a lot cheaper but they're 'special order' at Bunnings, not kept in stock. The Q: Has anyone used Hebel blocks for a hearth and also does anyone know a stockist?

Hi Brooksey,
I made a small wedding/braizing box and lined it with Hebles from Bunnies. Never had any issues. Hope this helps. Cheers, Peter.

20171229_140539.jpg

Don't know what you have in your area but I went to an 'artsy' type little pottery shop here in Perth and got super lightweight insulation bricks for about $6 each. Same shape and size as a normal brick but almost the weight of Styrofoam. I just keep them loose and arrange them into the shape I need as I need them.

Thanks fellas,
Good to know the Hebel is ok.
I'll be going through Brisbane tomorrow so I'll check around. The bigger Bunnings might stock it

This is an old thread - but I thought I might mention that the ceramic (?) radiant panels out of an old gas fire make OK material for building hearths out of, and if you can find a scrap gas fire they're free!

Back