Solidworks home version

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am casting about for a replacement for my trusty Sketchup program. I have used it for years but want a more fully featured CAD for engine projects. I tried the home version of Fusion 360 last winter and spent hours running tutorial videos. I found the logic and flow of that program problematic. No matter how I had things arranged in the 3D view editing the sketch made everything pile up at the origin. Editing gears was really confusing. Not happy with that program. Looking around a bit I found the $99 version of Solidworks. Does anybody have any experience with it? How would it compare with Fusion in terms of operation and interface? I want something good at assemblies and analysis of moving parts.

I had the student version of Solidworks until the free licence expired. If the $99 was outright purchase, even for a cut down version of the full programme, I would buy it. I think it's $99 per year, with no guarantee that you could buy another years worth next year. Like F360, they could pull the rug at any time.
Please let us know if you do go for it.

Latest posts

Back