Solidworks for Mac?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What PART modelling functions does Fusion lack? I'm not aware of any deficiencies wrt SolidWorks.
Its built-in CAM facility is excellent and is able to generate many dialects of gcode, including MACH3.
It also has a powerful, built-in, stress analysis system.
It has a different paradigm to SolidWorks, so some things have to be relearned, but there are copious videos and tutorials available to minimise the learning curve.
If starting with no or little experience of CAD, then be aware that no CAD system is easy to learn and all involve a pretty steep learning curve.

I don't design anything with SW, but I do model from printed plans to uncover any errors in the drawings before starting a build. Fusion will do this equally. I've also found SW very useful in my last two builds where I received the SW files from the designer.

In cases where I consider 3D printing, being able to generate STL files from part models is key. But Fusion will do this as well.

I would go with the Fusion360 recommendations also. I started with SolidWorks (great product) but I am predominately Mac based and I needed a software package that was compatible with my Mac laptop so that I could work on designs when I travel on business. Fusion has matured greatly over the past few years and is a now a fantastic product, works great on the Mac and is free to hobby users. There are many great tutorial videos on YouTube to learn quickly. You wont be disappointed.

When you guys say 'it works on a Mac' do you mean you are running it in cloud mode or its installed on the machine running under Apple OS?
(Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology; cloud, online, virtual desktop... I mean is internet connected in order to develop models? )

@petertha, there is an application to install. I believe its no longer available on the Apple App store but is downloadable from the Autodesk web site. It also uses the cloud to store your files, which makes it super easy to share with others for collaboration, viewing on other devices (such as phone, or iPad) and also great for archiving purposes. Just let me know if you need any help getting started or finding any of the programs or tutorial content.

Thanks Endamur. I'm a Win/PC guy so it was more out of curiosity because the same subject comes up so often with my Apple friends that are interested in running Fusion.

So when you say also uses the cloud to store your files, do you mean that is an either/or feature like your work files are entirely resident on PC & never use the cloud? Or are files always ultimately saved to cloud, no choice in the matter?

And then when it comes to running the program itself, do you have to be connected to the internet to start a Fusion session or is it a standalone app on the machine? I got different impressions from how different people are using it. Maybe Fusion has changed over time or maybe it depends on 100% free vs some degree of paid hobbyist subscription? I know the borders of PC applications are getting fuzzy these days. Even so-called standalone apps as we use to understand them (with all executable files installed on the PC) are reaching out to mission control behind the scenes using internet to do an authentication handshake verification. This step happens in a blink & is imperceptible to the user, unless the internet connection happens to be down.

Fusion can take advantage of the cloud for archiving/storage/collaboration but you can work in offline mode also with the files store locally on your computer.... (e.g. if you wanted to work on a project when on a plane etc). Try it out on either a PC or Mac. You wont be disappointed... its a really good product.

Check out "Draftsight" its a free download product from Solidwoks. I run it on both my pc and MacBook Pro. A tutorial is also available on their site. Very Similar to AutoCad Lt, so much so they were forced to offer it free as part of law suit settlement. : )
I never heard about the lawsuit aspect of this; that is interesting. However, whatever the terms were of that settlement, it appears as they are now moot. Draftsight has migrated to a paid model for everyone.
This is actually the biggest concern I have with all software that you cannot install on your local machine or which requires an Auth server to start. It seems like the model of 'free now, build a base, then charge' is pretty prevalent. It is fine for the company, and for people that make money with the product; but, it is horrible for those of us that are on hobby budgets.

Hi John,
I recently installed the student version of Solidworks on a second hand (used) computer with the following spec.
Dell desktop computer with Intel i7 4th gen chip, 16gb ddr3 ram (2 sticks) Gtx 750TI 4gb graphics card 2tb hard drive (far too big!) running Windows 7 64 bit. I bought a second hand computer because of the issues I experienced with my main computer ( lower spec ) that when updated to windows 10 v1903 had a lot of problems. Windows 7 is very stable and Solidworks runs fine on it, I don't have the computer connected to the internet and Fusion 360 wouldn't run on my machine without access to the net, even though it should. I have now un-installed Fusion and use Solidworks rarely. I now find that for most of what I do, FreeCAD does the job. It can be difficult to learn, and it will annoy you, but I will stick with it. I am now printing out the engine parts I want to cast using FreeCAD and a 3D printer. FreeCAD is not as good as Solidworks, but for some reason I prefer using it. The computer cost me £480. It has new memory, hard disk, and psu, I think the graphics card might have been a used one. I am in GB, so not worth giving you any contact details for the man that built mine for me! My computer running W10 is now fine and hasn't crashed for months. I might consider updating my cad computer from 7 to 10.
Lee

Hi All! This is Twombo

I have been fiddling about with CAD SINCE 86 or so, windows 2.03 or so, ACAD 2.6 Oh boy! More recently, 2000s I have used rhino3dmostly.
6 yrs ago, I had a bad brain hemmorhage! That set me back a lot!

In recovery, I am back in the workshop and now doing some computer modeling Again I tried 360, but the interface is so diferent from anything I ever used, and the print documentation is so horrible, I justcan’t get little things like constraints! T

No decent explanations anywhere! I have vision issues and most tutorials are at 90 mph with an accented narrator!
You can’t magine! Even on my 27” 5K Mac it is very confusing. Would kill for a concise written manual!

I was a technical writer and I know few companies spend for written documentation. A video is all they see! My cognitive issues. Prevent that, at this point. I am gaining ground tho! Put a book in my hand and I can fly!

Back to Rhino for me! I have v6.0 and is Mac or Win 64 bit. I have much time in Win, but so much changed he last few years! Just Call me Rip Van Winkle!

I do not like the web based apps. I think some of the bait and switch stuff is a problem coming! More a ways down on that in my rant! Ha!

Rhino is safely on my hi Spec Imac w/ a 2 tb. Fusion drive and 32 gig RAM. 1 have a 2 tb SSD for bulk storage on the side. It all seems to be working well, but the learning curve for drawing and part management will be a hurdle to cross. THE “ right hand rule” too!

I am modeling a GWR Saint loco in 21/2” gauge.

Kitbashing a LBSC 4-6-0 to build a Lady Of Legend Saint!
I would like to do some CNC and 3d printing along the way. It seems Rhino is useable for the additive Manufacturing.

Any rhino Users, chime in! The nice thing with Rhino is The perpetual licence. I had every Adobe app available until the subscription model came into Vogue, cannot do reliable work on an unsupported 20 year olds workstation, although I would kill to have Xp or Vista, even Win 7! then they killed all the legacy stuff off! Them and Apple. jerks! Rant over. There ought to be a bounty on some of the software crooks!

I am following with interest, keep chatting.
All the best

mick

FreeCad will let you make drawings and do far more different things. As far as instructions. Your correct that their is not much written instruction but there are many youtube videos. One problem is that some are from before the step change. But they are still valuable once you understand the step. It is not associated with a commercial product. freeCAD 17 (after step) beginners , (18) , freeCAD sketches , and freeCAD (18) 3D printed parts. There are dozens of videos I would say do not look at anything older then 3 years the step change in the modeling structure occurred on version 17.

If you are a military veteran in the U.S. or Canada (and maybe other locations as well), you can obtain the student version of SolidWorks for $20 a year. You must have a DD-214 or equivalent to send them an image with your application.

Back