Solenoid engine info ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivel

Reaction score
I came across this engine in a junk shop a few years ago. It looks to be a commercial product that has subsequently been repainted by a five year old.

The first image shows the engine alongside a 6" rule, the solenoid is covered by a removable pierced metal cover. The knob on the left appears to be a speed controller.
solenoidengine01.jpg

In the second picture the solenoid cover has been removed.
solenoidengine02.jpg

There is a solid ridge of paint next to the bare metal on the base which would indicate that something has been removed, so the engine was most likely part of something larger.

The little three spoke wheel and rectangular block it is mounted on are dummies, as is what looks like a little vertical coil in front of the "cylinder".

Google searches have turned up hundreds of variations on solenoid engines, but I haven't come across anything similar to this so any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Clive

clivel said:
The little three spoke wheel and rectangular block it is mounted on are dummies, as is what looks like a little vertical coil in front of the "cylinder".

I suspect that the "little vertical coil" is actually a selenium rectifier stack. There may also be a transformer hidden in there somewhere (along with a capacitor) since it's unlikely that the switch contacts work directly to interrupt the solenoid coil. You need to try to remove all of that paint and try to find out what opens up where to really tell what you have.

Alan

Latest posts

Back