Snow tandem compound I.C. engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I purchased a copy of the book, Build the Snow, from Village Press. In going through the drawings it requires 4 lip seals with a part number of NOK AC8054 -EOS. It also gives references to several companies that apparently handle these seals. I have spent the greater part of the morning trying to find these seals. Needless to say without much luck.
My request is for those who have built the Snow or otherwise know where these seals can be found.
I live in Ohio in the U.S. and have 2 companies, Mcmaster-Carr and Grainger who usually have almost everything needed but they don't have them either. They have the seals for the .312 shaft diameter but the O.D. is too large.
Thanks,
gbritnell

As Gary said Roy has the correct seals in Viton material. While the original NOK Buna N seals would allow piston rod installation without damage to the seals, the Viton seals require a protective clip-on sleeve to fit the shaft connector relief to prevent seal damage. A simple Delrin sleeve slit it on one side snaps in place. Cut the shaft connector relief deeper to allow space for the sleeve and substitute a close fitting two piece clamp as a shaft connector in lieu of the single piece set screw type in the drawings.
Jeff

FWIW , I found it difficult to get the piston rods through the seals. I made the centre connector as drawn then drilled through and reamed for taper pins with no grooves for set screws, I don't use them, so the seal slides through without catching . Use TGP stainless for piston rods, 0-1 steel is not straight enough. I thought I had made the cylinder assemblies badly because I could not get a length of 0-1 to pass through the bushes smoothly. I took Rustkolector's advice from a previous post and got some TGP stainless and was amazed at the difference, it slides through beautifully. Make a water heated inlet manifold. I made the bore 1.125 as I could not purchase 1.062 rings. The only place I was able to get seals was Roys CDI Ignition, but I think he has retired. If you can get seals with right I.D. can you re-design to fit larger O.D? Looking at some of your other engines, George, I don't think you should have any problems with the Snow.
Colin

Colin,
Roy is still in business. However, he has cut it back it a bit. I just got another ignition system from him.
Jeff

I know Roy has them listed on his website, but since he's attempting to ramp down his business, I did some extra searching, as I'm gathering up parts for a Snow engine build myself. I'm ordering from Roy for comparison, but I found this -
https://www.bestpartsonline.com/oil-seal/snow-engine/7-87-x-14-3-x-3-2-scThe listing actually calls out Snow Engine in the application! I ordered a bunch just now.

Latest posts

Back