Snow Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

And good looking is all it may ever be. Dis-assembled the engine and inspected everything. Everything looked good except the rings, I could see where they were not mating to the cylinder wall. Measured the cylinders and found them to be round with no taper. Made new rings of cast iron and honed them in a dummy cylinder until they fit tight to the wall of the cylinder. Used a ball type cylinder hone to break the glaze and installed new shaft seals. Reassembled and tried to start the engine again. It would run roughly for a minuet or so and then slowly konk out. All four cylinders are developing 35 psi at about 60 RPM. So now I am thinking about trying different spark plugs and carb. On the bright side I got around the cooling water problem by elevating one end of the engine .25” allowing the cooling water to run down hill to the tank. The water gets hot quickly and there is no oil contamination so I know the head gaskets are holding.
For now I'm going to clean it up and put it on the shelf. Spring is here and soon the rain will stop and I have a lot of work to do outside.

Mark T

Mark,
The engine is a work of art, give it some time and it will come around, These engines can be a bit stubborn.

Cheers
ANdrew

Mark,
It has been a long while since you have posted any updates on your Snow build. I sure hope you haven't forgotten about it.

Jeff

Mark,
It has been a long while since you have posted any updates on your Snow build. I sure hope you haven't forgotten about it.

Jeff

Thanks for asking Jeff

It sits proudly on the model shelf with a sign " Sorta Runs " Arthritis in my hands makes working with size 0 screws very difficult for me now so I have not tackled installing a new intake manifold system. My plan was to split the manifold into two with two carbs. I have not posted here lately as I have been working on a 1874 .22LR Gatling gun. After that I will be building another engine and will be spending more time here.

Mark

Gatling gun models can be posted here as well. Let's see it!

Ok, hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers.

I guess “technically” a gun is a machine, and a machine gun even more so.

The action is closely based on the RG-E plans. The designer is a very nice and very helpful. The only changes I made to the action was beefing up the drive gears. Beyond that I made numerous changes to make the gun more closely resemble the 1874 model Gatling Gun. And I have it mounted on a Navel mount rather than the more well known Carriage or Tripod mounts. The Magazine is limited to 20 rounds to avoid large capacity regulations. If you had the magazines and a feeder you could burn through 300 rounds a minute.

It is a work in progress so some of the hardware is temporary. I have the action working smoothly and have fired it in single shot mode. I am now working on the magazine and its mounting door. I will then be able to fire 10 rounds rapid fire. After that I need to make and install extractors into the 10 bolts. Once they are all working the gun will be fully functional.

I took photos along the way if there is something you want to see let me know.

Note the American A.T.F. does not consider this to be a machine gun because you are manually cycling the rounds, cocking and releasing the hammer. If you replace the crank handle with an electric drill motor you get to go to jail.

Gatling bolts.jpg
Gatling ejector port.jpg
Gatling F end.jpg
Gatling inside.jpg
Gatling left side.jpg
Gatling Rear.jpg
Gatling Right Side.jpg

The only word I can think of to describe this beautiful weapon is "Outstanding"
and I am jealous.

Ok, hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers.

I guess “technically” a gun is a machine, and a machine gun even more so.

The action is closely based on the RG-E plans. The designer is a very nice and very helpful. The only changes I made to the action was beefing up the drive gears. Beyond that I made numerous changes to make the gun more closely resemble the 1874 model Gatling Gun. And I have it mounted on a Navel mount rather than the more well known Carriage or Tripod mounts. The Magazine is limited to 20 rounds to avoid large capacity regulations. If you had the magazines and a feeder you could burn through 300 rounds a minute.

It is a work in progress so some of the hardware is temporary. I have the action working smoothly and have fired it in single shot mode. I am now working on the magazine and its mounting door. I will then be able to fire 10 rounds rapid fire. After that I need to make and install extractors into the 10 bolts. Once they are all working the gun will be fully functional.

I took photos along the way if there is something you want to see let me know.

Note the American A.T.F. does not consider this to be a machine gun because you are manually cycling the rounds, cocking and releasing the hammer. If you replace the crank handle with an electric drill motor you get to go to jail.

View attachment 108052 View attachment 108053 View attachment 108054 View attachment 108055 View attachment 108056 View attachment 108057 View attachment 108058
Did you do the barrels yourself or did you buy them already drilled and rifled?

Dnalot,
Where can I get a set of drawings for the Gatling Gun ?
I made my own Long Range pistols for competition shooting and ended up with 7x Bisley Grand Master medals and 2x world records for my troubles. My wonderful government then took our hand guns away saying that we weren't safe to have hand guns. I still have 480 trophies in the cupboard and my good lady has made me get rid of all of the second and third place trophies. The biggest size cartridge I have played with in a hand gun was the .30 Wolf wildcat. A 230 grain hollow point boat tail with a necked down 460 Weatherby cartridge. 122 grains of Hercules Realoader 22. Good fun but it hurt the ears if you stood alongside the gun rather than behind it. If you could let me know where I could get a set of drawings I would be very grateful.

Regards,
Graham T.

Latest posts

Back