Snow engine thoughts

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by Gordon, Dec 24, 2019.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2020 #41

Rustkolector

Rustkolector

Rustkolector

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Gordon,
    At the time Doug, and many others, built the Snow engine a company in FL called MJN Fabrication was selling all the Bruce Satra designed ignition components including the distributors. Many of us bought the distributor bases with a set of points installed. The four lobe ignition cam is an integral part of the distributor rotor shaft and operated the MJN installed points. A lot of builders used the points with any number of transistor ignition systems and a separate coil and battery. MJN closed up their operations about the time the more compact CDI ignition was introduced. Most everyone now seems to prefer the CDI systems using a Hall magnetic sensor in the flywheel or distributor base. They are as simple and compact as it gets.
    Jeff

2. Jan 24, 2020 #42

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

I have the S&S distributor. I am not sure what the problem is but I have burned out the transistor on a TIM 6 twice now. I have it running using the S&S ignition module. I was just thinking that a straight forward point ignition would be simpler. If it requires making a new distributor with internal points it certainly is not easier. I guess I will just stick with the existing setup. Thanks.
    Gordon

3. Feb 2, 2020 #43

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon

Update: I just made a new intake manifold, straight line 7/32 dia tube. Due to a screw up on tapping the carb mount block I ended up using another existing single throat non throttled carb and the engine starts and runs well. I do not have the coolant system reinstalled yet so I cannot run it for more than about 4-5 minutes before it starts to get too hot. I figured that coolant was not a priority until I could get it running consistently.

4. Feb 2, 2020 #44

Rustkolector

Rustkolector

Rustkolector

Well-Known Member Project of the Month Winner

Persistence pays off. Congratulations!
    Jeff

Draft saved Draft deleted