Sniff test for gas leak goes wrong

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generatorgus

Reaction score
I'm very embarressed about this because it happened to me, two days ago. Maybe my posting it might help prevent another such accident.

I was preparing my camper for the trip to Cabin Fever this coming Friday.
Getting the propane gas systems purged of air and test firing the stove, furnace and combination gas electric refrigerator.
As usual, I start with the stove, which is furthest from the supply and is easier to light. Stove purged I moved to the furnace. This item as well as the refig. will eventually fire up when they are turned on.
The furnace checked out OK and on to the refrigerator.

As mentioned the refrig. has a gas or electric system. The electric part (110V) was working fine, but I saw no fire thru the not to user friendly peep hole at the gas burner, when it was switched to gas.
OK, get some tools and multi-meter.
I tested some of the 12V components and it "seemed" that the solenoid operated gas valve was not getting power. In my own defense, I'll state first that the swicth is also not too user friendly, it's one of those in/out push buttons and is dark brown in color, and not too easy to tell if it is in or out. I thought I turned it off. I'm sure, by now, it's fairly apparent what comes next.

If you guessed "he probably loosened the gas compression fitting to sniff test for gas flow" you win a cigar, an exploding cigar.
As I was bending in the compartment, it went PHOOM, and immediately burst into a rather large fire, inside the compartment.:eek:

Not even wondering about my physical condition, my first thought was get a fire extinguisher from the garage about 15 yards away I was starting in that direction when the little voice said "turn the gas off first".
I ran around the camper and closed the gas valve , which seemed an eternity, and the ran back around, which also would be the direction of the garage, and the large flame was gone. The only flame left was a small flame on the now, almost non existent, plastic condensate drain which I simply blew out.
I went and got the fire extinguisher anyway and stood fire guard for about 15 minutes while I surveyed the damage. Fortunately the damage was very minor, the plastic on two connector plugs was damaged, as well as the insulation on one of the wires. Which I easily repaired while I was still keeping a wary eye out for fire.

After what I considered an appropriate amount of time I tested the unit again, and it was working just fine.

I decided that honesty would be the best policy and go confess my stupidity to my better half. I didn't get a word out before she loudly exclaimed, "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR BEARD"?:eek::eek:

"Nuff said,

GUS

Afterthought, there was a fire extinguisher right near the door in the camper.

Last edited:
Glad you're OK, enjoy the show next weekend, I might drive down myself if time permits.

Regards.

Steve.

Wow Gus!

Glad you and camper survived that one; have a great time at the show. Wish I was going too.

Dave

Hi Gus,

At least you won't have to shave for a while :eek::eek::eek:

Seriously though. You were very lucky that the damage was quite minor. I saw a camper in flames a year or so ago. Flash back to a split or damaged seal on the regulator valve at a guess. Not nice watching the plastic coach work catch fire.

Thanks guys, nothing hurt but my ego.

Although I wasn't sure whether getting the fire extinguisher or shutting the gas off was the right choice, removing the most flammable and well supplied seemed more feasible, I didn't stop to ponder the choice.
I'm thinking now the gas was the best choice.
I've seen the remains of a burnt camper, not much left but the tale of how it happened.
The beard didn't disappear, it's just shorter now.:rolleyes: I may shave it off as the weather seems to finally be breaking.

Dave, it would give me pleasure to meet you in person, but that's a long trip. I'll try to have some fun for you.:D

Steve, if you make the trip stop and say hello. Weatherly is just over the hill.

Glad you came out OK. I think turning the gas off was the correct choice. It's not that easy for a gas bottle to explode, it has to be in the heat for a while and by turning it off, you deprived the fire of fuel.

Paul.

I've just returned from a rather chaotic week which ended up as weekend from Hell. Amongst other things, we recalled caravan things and such. We had had a tourer as opposed to a static but it was parked on a site until needed. When winter came, the site had other vans stored between the normal ones.
All was well until the local TV brought news of disaster when youths had jemmied open several vans and turned on gas bottles( which should not have been there) and thrown in a torch or sorts. So the gas bottles exploded at the necks and a chain reaction along the parked vans resulted.

Comment? It is interesting to note that a caravan, apart from the wheel rims and chassis can all fit into- a cardboard shoe box!

So my sympathies to you and delight that only your dignity is somewhat dented.

Norman

Norman, That sounds like it must have been a nightmarish scene.
I have trouble comprehending what kind of pleasure a person could have doing something like that.
I hope nobody was hurt.

Back