Small Weekend Projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. That now makes perfect sense! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I don't understand why you are making things so complicated. I have one lathe tool height setter that I use for all of my lathes. I can check it from either cross slide bed or lathe bed where the lathe bed is flat. I just used a piece of pipe painted it black popped a centre in the lathe and used that to mark centre for tool. Hey presto tool centre now found. Just spin it round and adjust your tool to suit.

Regards

Steve

20200314_143619.jpg

Hi Barry,

Thankyou for your post, I'm glad. Apologies if I offended you.

Hi Baron, No offence taken. Having done my 22 in the RAF it takes a lot to offend these days!! LOL. Cheers, Barry

I have to confess that I never have used anything like these devices. I have always used the tool-against-ruler trick, which of course is a bit subjective on whether the ruler is absolutely vertical, but it has worked more than well enough. For a facing tool, of course, the ultimate test is to face off and see if it leaves a tit. (With a QCTP, it is so quick to change the height that this is the easiest way to get it dead center - but maybe not such a great way to do it if you have to shim!)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

You might have noticed from my pictures, that my tool post & tool holder are Norman patent ones, both front and rear. The tool block height is adjusted by an M6 screw bearing against the top slide. I can use any tool size that I can fit into the 13 mm slot. Also the tool holder is interchangeable between front and rear posts.

I used to have a Dickson tool post but I considered it far too expensive in terms of buying holders for each tool, so I built the Norman tool post and find it far more effective. Don't get me wrong, if you are in the engineering business where time is money then a QCTP once set up is probably worth it.

I'm a hobbyist and a great believer in making your own tools. I have my own drawings for a Myford sized Norman patent tool post based on the original Van Norman patent. The only departure from the original apart from size is that the tool holder is a slot rather than a square hole.

Latest posts

Back