Small Weekend Projects

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry.

Reaction score
What are you making at the moment?
I've seen a lathe tool height setter that I'm going to make this weekend A nice small project for tomorrow :)

Where, What and How? I have a George Thomas one to finish off but it will take me a tad longer than what is left of a weekend.
I have a charity curry night tonight and a visit from my family nor part of it on Sunday- then a sort of social evening at the conservative club- with a very small c later. A certain modest amount of whisky is planned.
Living alone, I have my dhobi to think about in readiness for a 16 day trip to Portugal, the Azores, Tenerife and across to mainland Spain.
Now, I'm soldering up a new wiring harness to go on my nearly new Myford Super7B with PXF and the rotary Dewhurst switch from my old lathe. Then I have the levelling off with 2 spirit level(?) after swinging the lathe to where it is going to finally live.

One eye is virtually useless whilst the other is operable once someone sticks a needle in it.

So just how do you find time to do one job? I've stocked up for this virus thing, I've 'tanked the little car up with Diesel, I've found some methylated spirit( raw alcohol) for my hands. I've ironed a dress shirt to go with one of my evening suits and put my morning suit away for another evening.
Seriously, I wondered whether I've slowed down in my 90 years.
So what is 'your' secret, please?
Regards

Norman

Hi Norman!
A 16 day trip to Portugal, the Azores, Tenerife and then across to mainland Spain? - I'd much rather be busy planning that this weekend!
There are a few videos out there for making lathe tool height gauges:
I like making arty metal gifts too. I've made a few pieces of jewelry and some jewelry boxes for family. Wish I could find time to make more because one of my friends is making quite a bit of money selling his jewelry online.

Harry, it got more exciting when my consultant orthodontic dental surgeon daughter came in on her car phone to say that my son in law has just been offered a post as senior consultant heart surgeon-----in Sheffield. Yes, Sheffield in 3 months time. Notice ready to go into the Leeds Hospital Trust- and all that jazz.:D

It's the job that he wanted and trained for all over the UK and Canada for.
So put the almost completed wiring loom back until tomorrow

So the new lathe and its necessary bits are on the back burner .

It's been a good day- so far- but not quite as I planned.

Regards

Norman

What are you making at the moment?
I've seen a lathe tool height setter that I'm going to make this weekend A nice small project for tomorrow :)

26-02-2020-01.JPG
Height Gauge.png

Do you mean this one ? Sized for a Myford S7

Not very sure I understand how this works. Surely the tool needs setting to the centre of the chuck, not below centre which it looks like with this device.

Not very sure I understand how this works. Surely the tool needs setting to the centre of the chuck, not below centre which it looks like with this device.

Hi Barry,
The front lathe tool is set by bringing it up to the underside of the cap, the rear lathe parting off tool is set by lowering down onto the post. That is why the cap has part of it sawn away. The top surface of the post is the centre height, all the cap does is provides a reference stop.

Hi Barry,
The front lathe tool is set by bringing it up to the underside of the cap, the rear lathe parting off tool is set by lowering down onto the post. That is why the cap has part of it sawn away. The top surface of the post is the centre height, all the cap does is provides a reference stop.

So the “D” part is not concentric with the rest of the stock then?

Yes but for many it is not gift wrapped so that people find it unnecessary to think.
A friend of mine and my self concluded that there was 50% chance of passing a school subject by ticking the appropriate boxes in today's exams. She and I were light heartedly reviewing the sad state of status quo.

On a slightly more serious consideration, the height gauge of George Thomas is rather more elegant but it does require a little thought of where to secure the two pointers to achieve the correct tool heights both on the front and the rear of the saddle.

Apologies if I have caused offence but I am in self imposed quarantine against the coronavirus - and i am rather bored with my own miserable company.:mad:

Hi Norman,

I do wonder nowadays ! Kids that don't know how to use a knife and fork to eat, only knowing fast food, so they have no idea of how to cook, but they can open a tin or a ready meal. Sitting around scratching their backside, or on their mobile phones with their head down walking across roads without a care in the world. Your right, If its not handed to them on a plate they haven't a clue how to cope. I blame lack of parental leadership. Bring back conscription !

I guess I'm getting cynical !

Ah National Service! Best thing that was ever invented. Someone there discovered that I had an IQ of 135 and then someone offered me a Commission from the ranks. My parents were so poor and we couldn't afford it.
I did find out my potential and it stood in good stead for the future. And I have enjoyed most of that future.

Hi Guys,

Did anybody bother to look at the picture and drawing ?

Honestly, looking at the drawing and the picture, I would have thought the shank of the tool would be inserted into the chuck and the flat on the end disk would be the centre height. I think that's why people were confused as the drawing shows the 'flat' in the end disk not on the centreline of the shank. I realise now the 'shank' length is vitally important but being that every dimension, critical or not, is called out on the drawing then it doesn't stand out.

Only my opinion, but for a self-centering chuck a tool as i described would be far easier to use and wouldn't be thrown off by debris on the lathe bed (I assume the tool you show stands on the lathe bed?). Anyway, it's not immediately obvious how the tool works just from the diagram unless of course you already know how it works.

Hi Al,

How do you restore your post when it just vanishes whilst your composing it ?

I've just spent ten minutes replying to your post and its just gone !

I agree with you Cogsy. When I looked at the drawing all I could think of was "How's this supposed to work?" Once it was explained that became "Now that's a really neat idea."

I also go along with what BaronJ is asking about restoring a post. More than once I've spent a LOT of time putting a post together just to have it go off into laa-laa land because I apparently did something stupid. I keep telling myself I need to develop the text for the post elsewhere and copy it into the site. Yet here I sit - typing away, some people never learn apparently.

Don

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your posts. Its very frustrating when after spending some time composing and typing a post, it just disappears for no apparent reason. Its happened a number of times, but I've not said anything just in case it was me that caught two keys or something. But this time I was just considering what next to say and bang it was gone, I wasn't even touching the keyboard.

Some other forums have the ability to restore un-posted comments.

Hi Al, Guys,

it's not immediately obvious how the tool works just from the diagram unless of course you already know how it works.

I do not disagree with you ! It isn't clear from the pictures or drawing how it is supposed to be used. I had mistakenly assumed that it would be obvious.

On that basis I apologise for my indignant comment, sorry if I offended anyone.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to restore a lost post. I have had the forum automatically save my reply as I'm typing (it just flashed up "draft saved" or something similar in the bottom right corner of the reply box as I typing) and I know this draft text still comes up even if I delete everything I wrote and reload the thread. I'm guessing it's an automated feature and that it works for everyone.

On rare occasions, and I've always blamed my internet provider, I've hit the post button and lost everything, but unless I've had a browser crash I've never lost a post while I've been typing. What I do now for long posts (and I'll do for this one as it seems I'm tempting fate) is to highlight the entire finished post and hit ctrl-c (copy) before I post it. Then if the worst does happen and I lose it, I simply start a new post and hit ctrl-v (paste) and it is all restored.

Baron - I wasn't offended, I was just pointing out how sometimes the 'obvious' isn't so obvious when you don't have the little assumed background knowledge. I have seen a Joe Pie video on making a similar idea tool, but I guess maybe more for insert tooling than HSS, where the tool tip may not be on the same plane as the tool shank. His is more of a comparison height gauge I guess. I'm thinking I might make one of the tools I was suggesting above and see how it works out, though it obviously won't be much good when there's a part already in the chuck and I need to set a height.

Aargh - long post, I have to work on reducing my waffle.

Hi Al, Guys,

I'll take a couple of pictures of it in use. It works very well, much better than the scratched line on a bit of alloy block that I have used for a number of years.

PS. I've never seen the "Saved" pop up on this forum, ever !

Hi Guys,

Right, in order to prevent any misunderstanding of how my lathe tool height gauge works, here are some pictures of it in use on my lathe. Please note that the drawing is intended for use with the Myford centre height and the post should be adjusted in length to suit any other lathe. Other than that it is suitable for any lathe tool that needs to be accurately set at centre height.

14-03-2020-001.JPG

Here is the front lathe tool being set. The tool is raised so that it just touches the tool tip.

14-03-2020-002.JPG

Here the rear parting off tool is being set. The lathe tool is lowered until it just touches the tool tip. That parting blade is an HSS M42, 8" inch one (200 mm) from China via Banggood at less than £2.00p each.
14-03-2020-003.JPG

This is a picture of the height gauge from the front side.
14-03-2020-004.JPG

This is a picture of the height gauge from the back side.

I do hope that these pictures dispel any confusion about how this very simple device works and how it is intended to be used. It took about 1/2 an hour to make, all the bits coming from the scrap box. FWIW the post was actually a core from a hole drilled in a piece of 60 mm thick plate.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back