Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use g regular super glue it's kind of a bugger getting the little piece line up on the disk I used a scribe point to push it around then and eraser to push it down. Seemed to hold just fine.

Thanks for the reply doc1955.
Has anyone thought of machining a .010inch deep slot in the delrin and making the electrode .01 thicker? Would it effect anything like setting the ignition timing or electrical properties?
Graham

I think that would work you would need to get it timed with the magnet correctly. I ended up having to remove redo it once because I didn't get it quite right just took an exacto blade and took it off cleaned it up and re-did it. Plus if you have my luck I fried a couple hall sensors and upon replacing them had to move the brass strip so you could run into a problem if that happens. Anyway in theory it's a good idea but in reality it could bite you in the end.

Scuff both parts with scotch brite pad or steel wool. Any super glue will work but I prefer the gel type because it doesn't set instantly. You get a few seconds to get the pieces placed correctly before the glue sets.

Hi All
Ref the water pump,the machining drawing page 55 shows a bearing recess .25 x .24 deep on the right hand side of the flat side (although it is not delineated) and a .25 x .05 deep recess on the opposite . The side where the inlet fitting fits.
Page 56 shows the bearing fitted to the .25 x .05 deep recess?
My question before I cut metal is, is the bearing on the inner or outer side ?
My intuition is that the bearing fits in the inner side and page 56 has misled me but I thought I would check:)
Graham

I updated the water pump so the o ring would be external making it easier to replace if worn. The assembly drawing was not updated. The bearings are internal and the o ring goes on the shaft behind the fan belt pulley. Put a dab of silicone grease on the shaft before installing the oring.

Hi All
Has anyone found that the rocker arms tend to turn and the roller ends touch.
My solution was to fit a plate inside the rocker arm head recess with .08 inch slots and screwed down.
Can anyone see any problems?
Graham

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 586
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 515
Hi All
Has anyone found that the rocker arms tend to turn and the roller ends touch.
My solution was to fit a plate inside the rocker arm head recess with .08 inch slots and screwed down.
Can anyone see any problems?
Graham

The valve stem should go into the groove of the rocker making it impossible to turn on the stud. Also from your pictures they are installed upside down. When you get them flipped over make sure the valve stem is making contact with the roller and when it does there should be little to no sideways motion.

Thanks Steve
Why did I not see this as I have pictures of your build.
:oops:
Graham

OK I give. You skill and patience have to be admired. I happened upon this thread a week ago and could not let it go. I had toyed in my teens to build a model engine but never did. Now seeing your work I have the bug again. I have decided to make the model of one of the engines I had in a pinto bodied modified in the late 1970's. This will be a dry sump , normally aspirated Ford Boss 351. It will be 1/4 scale with about 7/8 bore and 3/4 inch stroke. I am afraid that it will take me longer than it did you as I will have to finish some of my other projects to make this happen. (finish forth axis for retrofit Bridgeport, finish upgrading Emco compact5 to be a servo driven PcTurn)

As you can see I have a very long way to go.

Attachments

• Model Boss351.pdf
    794.4 KB · Views: 315
OK I give. You skill and patience have to be admired. I happened upon this thread a week ago and could not let it go. I had toyed in my teens to build a model engine but never did. Now seeing your work I have the bug again. I have decided to make the model of one of the engines I had in a pinto bodied modified in the late 1970's. This will be a dry sump , normally aspirated Ford Boss 351. It will be 1/4 scale with about 7/8 bore and 3/4 inch stroke. I am afraid that it will take me longer than it did you as I will have to finish some of my other projects to make this happen. (finish forth axis for retrofit Bridgeport, finish upgrading Emco compact5 to be a servo driven PcTurn)

As you can see I have a very long way to go.

Keep going. Took me a year and some change to get the drawings to a point where I was comfortable starting the first piece. You will get there.

Well it took 2 mornings, but I read the build from start to finish. Thank you
so much for all of your shared experience. I just completed a Blown Black Widow
V8 but I didn't build the crank. Dwight Giles built the Crank, and most of the difficult
stuff.
I have only ruined 1 crank so far.
So My 2nd engine is awaiting a successful crank. I really feel your pain on the crank, but you have motivated me to get back to it. You said you got sharper tooling.
Was this purchased or just better angles/honing?
Again Thank You. Now back to the shop.

Latest posts

Back