Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i found myself with a day off from work so i made a pair of rear shocks. They are basically just like an RC shock except all brass instead of plastic. I couldn't find springs close enough to size so I wound a pair to the OD and length I needed. They were assembled and soldered together. I modeled them after the adjustable coil over drag racing shocks.

DSCN2237s.jpg~original

DSCN2238s.jpg~original

DSCN2240s.jpg~original

Have been waiting for you to get back onto this project. Amazing work.

A little update on the car.

I couldn't make heads or tails of the gears as far as the exact placements of the cuts with the custom cutters. I fully understand the article and what is supposed to happen but the numbers didn't seem to work so i freakin winded it. I patched as much of the article together with the 3D cad and drew up the gears and eyeballed the shape of the teeth and did my own thing. After a few hours of adding a little here and taking off a little there I had a set of gears that were ready to "test". My pal was going to print the gears in ABS and pass them off to me to try. Couple days before I was ready his printer died. I really needed them printed on a "good" printer with good resolution. So I searched the web and found a place that could print ABS. Come to find out the set in ABS on a really good printer costs about 75 bucks plus shipping. After further snooping on the website i found they could 3D print in steel so I had to see what that would cost. 42 bucks in steel plus shipping so guess what I did. Well they are not that bad other than a bit of a rough finish but I figure I could run them in with a little diamond paste. They don't take kindly to drilling and threading. My mounting holes were printed into the part .005 under and I had to drill to size. Drill bit got hot real fast but it worked. Tap is still pissed at me but it did take a thread. Obviously not as nice as machined gears but cheap in my opinion. I still have an interference issue that I think some button head screws will clear up but other than that everything fit as planned.

DSCN2243s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2242s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2244s_1.jpg~original

Steve,

Interesting that the steel gears were less cost than ABS,

Chuck

Yeah I was shocked. I would think that the ABS would have a better surface finish and closer tolerance on size. The steel is pretty good but you can see small spots where the metal got away a little bit. The pair run together pretty good but its hard to tell until i get some button head screws in it so I can make a full turn.

Put the final touches on the rear end. The center section was completed by cutting a clearance on the bottom so the mounting hardware could be inserted through the holes. The oil fill plug was drilled and tapped. The yoke was cross drilled so the Ujoint can be mounted. The entire thing was assembled complete for the first time. I also had a chance to make the front rims and the centers for the rear rims. I have 100 stainless screws on the way to assemble them.

DSCN2248s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2249s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2251s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2255s_1.jpg~original

Another weeks worth!

I have finished the front struts. I still need to make the mounts for the top so stay tuned on that. Started on the pieces Saturday so there is 5 days, a couple hours a day. Need to sort out the top mount and make the hub so I can get the front wheels mounted.

DSCN2257s_1.jpg~original

Well I finally have wheels on the front. I finished up the heim joints on the A arms and made the hubs. The brakes are bolted on for the first time and the tire is mounted. I am going to make a wheel spacer tomorrow to give a little more room between the rim and calipers.

DSCN2263s_1.jpg~original

DSCN2267s_1.jpg~original

Sorry Steve. I mean i cannot see your photos from the start of the build. I can see these last ones. any advice? i went back to the beginning f the build and right clicked on the image it did take me to photo bucket but would not load any photos. i bought the plans for the Demon and would like to start the build. Of course your photos would be a great help

Steve just a note page 128 i cannot see the photo only PB saying go to some 3rd party and page 129 i can see the photos did something change?

Steve just a note page 128 i cannot see the photo only PB saying go to some 3rd party and page 129 i can see the photos did something change?

Yes, photo bucket now wants me to pay 400 a year to make my photos reappear. Thats not happening so if the right click doesnt work, i dont know of any other way to go directly to the missing photo. You can root through all the photos using this link until photo bucket decides to charge by the photo.

http://s770.photobucket.com/user/stevehuckss396/library/V8Demon

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
If I can be of any help I have all the pictures saved in one folder
for when I build the motor

cheers

Luc
old buddy old pal. As one Canuk to another. is there any way i might get those off you. I live on Vancouver Island . You can PM me if we could work something out
TKS Jerry

Steve
Tks for the link. I can see all the photos. But you were right when I go to open one PB wants me to pay. What a bunch of garbage. Tks for the link. It helps a bit. Another engine builder kept your file maybe we can work something out.

Tks Again

Latest posts

Back