Small V8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve,
The rings look good. Once you do them and find out how easy it is you wonder why all the fuss.
George

Great work Steve!

I am a little confused about the ring fixture. What is the rod for? When/how did you cut the gap.

Kel

Hi,

How did you calculated the displacment of the blower, the diameter of the two rotors etc

Drei

kcmillin said:
Great work Steve!

I am a little confused about the ring fixture. What is the rod for? When/how did you cut the gap.

Kel

The rod holds the ring open but also holds it open the correct way. You would have to read the article but it stresses the ring all the way around where as a square piece would put all the stress 180 degrees from the gap.

I crack them with wire snippers. The tool that is supposed to be used has jaws exactly like snippers. Just need to snip straight across the ring.

Hi Steve,

The rings and cam blanks are looking good. What was the anti-scale powder you used for the rings and what was your furnace temperature?

I'm looking forward to seeing your display at NAMES.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Steve,
I've just registered on here as I wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading about your build.
I came across this site as I was collecting info on building my own V8.
My aspirations have doubled since seeing your achievements so far. I'm building it with manual machines
so may be of interest to the non CNC men.

So, very impressed with your skills, and I look forward to the rest of the build.
Cheers, Keith.

Steve, I'm really enjoying your build. Makes me want to learn more about CNC. Though I enjoy manual machining. I look forward to hearing that blower wind up.

Kieth5700, I hope to see something about your build in the future too. I plan to do a V8 eventually and would be interested how to go about some of the machining manually.

i would really like to see some pics of this but photobucket is down for maintainance just now!

kuhncw said:
What was the anti-scale powder you used for the rings and what was your furnace temperature?

The part is heated to 500 degrees. Then the powder is sifted on and it sort of melts and coats the metal. I may have my facts wrong but the coating keeps the iron from decarbing which causes scale when in contact with oxygen and above 950 degrees F. The coating keeps the oxygen at bay.

I heated to 1100F for 4 hours.

When they came off the fixture the gap stayed and did not spring closed at all. Complete stress relief.

I've read that placing a small piece of paper in the retort with the rings will absorbe the oxygen and prevent scale. You heard that? That's a lotta rings.

jpeter, I heard of that. A freind of mine uses brown paper bags. Tears a couple peices, wads them up and sticks them in with the rings.

ironman (Ray)

jpeter said:
I've read that placing a small piece of paper in the retort with the rings will absorbe the oxygen and prevent scale. You heard that? That's a lotta rings.

It works if you can seal up the fixture air tight. Some wrap the fixture with stainless steel foil and when the paper burns, it depletes the oxygen inside the foil. For 25 bucks you can get enough powder to last the rest of your life so why screw with all that. The powder is so easy it's not worth hoping the foil is sealed air tight.

Steve, I hope you can put up with one more question on the anti-scale powder. I see on Brownell's site, you heat the part to 500F and then apply the powder. Did you stack the rings on your fixture, heat them, then then dust the powder on or how did you coat them?

Thanks.

Chuck

kuhncw said:
Steve, I hope you can put up with one more question on the anti-scale powder. I see on Brownell's site, you heat the part to 500F and then apply the powder. Did you stack the rings on your fixture, heat them, then then dust the powder on or how did you coat them?

Thanks.

Chuck

Earlier in the thread you saw the pic of the rings installed in the fixture. Then I put them in the furnace @ 500F for 30 minutes. 30 Minutes just to make sure the metal was 500F. Then I took the fixture out and sprinkled the powder on. It turns black and bubbles a little. It's not hard to tell when the rings are fully coated. Then they went back in for 4 hours @ 1100F. After the 4 hours is over just turn off the oven and let the rings cool naturally in the oven. Don't even open the door of the oven for 6-8 hours. Then take them out and boil the fixture until the coating is gone (5-10 min).

It's really that easy.

Steve first let me say that you have a fantastic talent and words can't describe how great your build is I have been following all your builds from day one almost. I have a question about the powder you put on your rings is it the same as Case Harding or is it something different. Cliff

Latest posts

Back