Small Locomotive & Boiler (ME Northumbrian)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking very good Pete

Stew

Jasonb said:
Talking of lubricators do you have any check valves in the line as I can't see any?

After yesterdays run the lubricator was full of water, however the oil had gone. I'm assuming that the small amount of oil I'd put in had pumped through and with nothing left condensing steam came back. Either way not good with only 30 psi boiler pressure, so there's something to look into there. That second check valve may be necessary.

On the subject of pumps and valves, is it accepted practice to put pumps in series? That is; the tender pump is in the feed line to the axle pump? If it isn't I can't see how the tender hand pump and water feed/return are connected up. The ME article doesn't explain. It can't go in the bypass line as the check valve in the pump would impede the return flow.

Pete

Thanks Stew. You're turning out a lot of stuff yourself these days, I'm barely keeping up with you.

regards

Pete

;D A belated congratulations on the first steam run Pete !

She's turning out to be a real beauty Thm:

I can't recall, are you using a mechanical lubricator or displacement type ? - if using displacement, it will get more condensate in it at 30psi than at 80, as the steam is at a lower temperature and condenses more quickly...

Kind regards, Arnold

Looking great Pete!

The first run is always very satisfying!

Dave

Thanks Arnold and Dave

The lubricator is mechanical the LBSC piston type, with a non return valve in the base. As Jason had the second valve may become necessary.

regards

Pete

I've painted the few parts that needed colour. The version in ME was green so mine had to be something else. Somebody had pointed out the original was pink (I think that came from a faded tint on one of the contemporary sketches). Well it wasn't going to be pink but a red seemed OK.

uuhjjsg477vkj6s4g.jpg

ugdp294elqqdpva4g.jpg

Trial assembly really but that's it for now as it needs to be ready for our club open day in a few weeks time. Then it's down to making it run.

Pete

That's a great build Pete! The red looks great against the wood lagging...... :bow:

Dave

:bow: That looks great Pete; I really like the colour scheme!

Kind regards, Arnold

Not pink - Lilac ;D

Seriously, at the opening of the railway there were quite a few locomotives and each loco was painted the colour to match it's tickets so that the passengers knew which train to catch!

Absolutely fabulous work Pete. th_wav :bow: :bow:

Congratulations Pete,a thing to be proud of,my brother and I have enjoyed following the build,takes us back a few years.How about the tender?
Thank you
Don

Superb job, Pete! Very nice looking and a really interesting steam loco.

Chuck

Dave, Pete, Arnold, Don, Chuck

Thanks guys,

Pete, anyway burgundy is a bit closer to lilac than green. I would like to have the reference where you got that info as it adds to the whole story. As Arnold says the colour scheme does go together quite well, more luck than any artistic flair on my part.

Don the tender is on the to-do list in fact I plan to make two sets of frames simultaneously. When I machined my small wheels some had voids but two had major voids, one with a hole right through the flange. Pete at GLR replaced them with 6 wheels already machined, so I have 4 spare. The plan is to make the tender and a wooden open passenger wagon so I have a set for display. I'll get on to it in the next few weeks, club open day first and I need to start looking at a second hand Simplex I obtained just before Christmas. However, I have a one job at a time policy so the tender will take precedent over the Simplex.

Thanks again.

Pete

Pete

She looks glorious!
Good luck with the first steaming and hope she goes as good as she looks

Thanks for the link Pete, I remembered the post but hadn't checked it out. We haven't heard much from Chris since those early days. Hopefully the frames fiasco didn't put him off too much.

Syrtismajor; Thanks I have had a preliminary steam the other week before I finished it but it still needs a bit more time spent really getting it up to best performance. If you didn't catch it the first teaming was in this post

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=15536.msg176654#msg176654

Pete

My apologies! I had somehow missed that post.
My original comment still applies though: glorious!

Definitely a contender for 'Project of the Month' February...
Looking forward to our Exhibition this weekend.

Imagineering.

Murray

Welcome back!!

Pete

Hi

Its been over a month since I posted something here. I've not been inactive, but we had a club open weekend and following that I spent some time stripping down the Simplex I'd purchased just before Christmas. I'd always said I wouldn't touch it until I'd finished this project. but I couldn't help myself.

From what I understand this hasn't been run for about 10years, but at the club open weekend we did the boiler tests and it passed, just needs one of the safeties adjusting.

It looks quite nice here.

A0Bi6eG.jpg

It was a bit grubby but lots of de-greaser soon sorted the muck. The intention is to re-furbish it over the winter.

Fn3vT3G.jpg

ujXAeOk.jpg

Down to the frames.

xFtwyMi.jpg

Anyway that's a story for later, I need to start another thread

Back to the Northumbrian

The next job is the tender, if I don't get on with it I never will so I'll forget the Simplex for now. Over the past few weeks I've managed to get the frames, stretchers, axle boxes, spring hangers, axles and wheels.

1bb9mcm8a128xxb4g.jpg

When I machined the small wheels, I think I may have said before, some of the castings had voids. A call to Pete H at GLR and a set of replacements were on their way to NZ, this time fully machined, by way of quality control from Pete's supplier.

This meant that I had a second set of 4 wheels I could use for something. As the loco going to be gas fired why not and wagon for the gas tank, so that's what I'm doing.

mebnb7714cexbbs4g.jpg

25d6i7zyv9fee2l4g.jpg

49uf1h016uf0co44g.jpg

That's it so far. I've got to muster the materials for the tender body, I've got most, but as always its the bit you need to do next and you don't have the material available

Pete

Latest posts

Back