Small gas torch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something like this
470253.jpg

Or this
470252.jpg

The old champagne taste on a root beer budget syndrome .
Tin

jack404 said:
Tin here tanks are
$140 + a year rental plus the gas

i would use less than half a tank a year ( $30 of gas last time i topped up for both!!!) and thats the tiny ones
its a rort ( scam)

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

jack

There goes another satisfied BOC customer! Rental goes up by leaps and bounds every year. :mad:

Here in the states all but the large full sized tanks are "owned" This really means if you buy a set of new empty tanks you turn them in for used full ones and pay for the gas. Actualy you are paying a service fee because a fill on the smallest size tanks is just a few buck less than the next larger size.
Tin

I know what ya mean,Tel.Here in NZ, BOC won't fill owner bottles now :mad:.Safety,they claim.
Luckily,there are a couple of small guys,who are rapidly picking up business from disgruntled former BOC customers.Good on 'em,I say.

Yes mate, more power to 'em!

2928587646_916a293af5.jpg

Here is smiths little torch I got a number of years ago. You can see the hoses and the adapter that hooks to my full size regulators and tanks.
2927728531_83b14d47fc.jpg

another view
Picked up the current catalog flyer from the harbor fright store today.
They have this clone of the little torch on sale $89.99 till Nov 10 it is cat#182-1 harbor freight.com Item number is 95671. I can't seem to get a working link. or see the post below.

Hey,
I faced the same problem. I needed to do some silver soldering and couldn't believe my hand held propane torch couldn't do it. I went out and bought a torch with acetylene and oxygen, filled in tanks that I had and some one gave me. The size of the flame was more than I needed for the small stuff I was doing. I then purchased a Smith's little torch off ebay. WoW! The answer to my prayers. It is really great. I use it exclusively but I do small steam engine stuff. I am delighted with my stuff. Fred

Glen the link doesn't work as listed. All I get is: "Sorry, the item number is not a valid item." Maybe somehing to do with it being on sale or in a store flyer. The link for the item online prices the torch at $109.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95671

On further exploring of the Harbor Freight website if you check out page 4 of the FREE RETAIL FLYER there it is and at the sale price.

Hey PT, I really like the look of the Smith's for small work! I'd love to hook one of those up to my Oxy rig from time to time.

There've been many pictures posted already of the various rigs to attach a hose between the propane tank and torch. Those seem like a nice alternative.

I use the little "Creme Brulee" torches myself. Wifey still hasn't discovered ours is missing from the kitchen and the kids have been asking for Brulees, so I'll be in trouble soon and have to buy a new one for the kitchen. Or maybe not. The infamous 800watt, an eBay seller many have complained about, gave me 2 of these little torches for free on an order recently. I've always had good luck with him, FWIW.

Lastly, I managed to saw my Tig torch hose in half (don't ask, rolled something over it carelessly) so was forced to drag out the oxy-acety rig. I hadn't fired it up in probably 15 years. Did a little soap bubble test at first (skeptical about the old thing), but it ran like a champ and there was a lot of gas in the bottles.

I really enjoy gas welding a lot. It's so tactile and visual. Tig is a bit sterile by comparison. I really should do more silver soldering on projects. Need to track down a good price on some silver solder. Seems I always just bum a small piece from a friend and never have it available when I could use it.

Latest posts

Back